Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Assessing packages when they arrive  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
Assessing packages when they arrive
« on: April 04, 2009, 11:24:31 am »
I have two 3lb. packages arriving the week of 27 April.  They are insured and the supplier's policy is to replace DOA packages one time.  My concern is in evaluating the packages when they arrive.  What are the criteria for deciding that a package did not make it?  Is there a ratio of dead to live bees that marks some decision making threshold?  I don't want to call a package dead that will actually survive, make a claim and then, essentially steal a free package from the supplier.  By the same token, I don't want to accept delivery of a package that is doomed, simply because I don't have enough experience to know that enough bees didn't make it alive.  Any advice would be appreciated.

One last question:  I assume that if a package is declared 'dead' at the post office, it will still have some live bees and possibly a queen in it.  What happens to those bees?  Does the post office keep them, does the customer keep them, do they go back to the supplier?  Thanks for any help. 

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
Re: Assessing packages when they arrive
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 12:03:59 pm »
I would be on the phone with the supplier, he should answer your questions !

If there is a problem he's not going to take "well on the inter-net somebody said"

You should not really have any problems with delivery, just remeber once you sign for them they are YOUR responsibility !!

Hope you are a member of your local bee club, and read bee books from your
Public Library

Every one does things their own way.
Bee-Bop

" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 06:55:09 pm »
I would try to hook with an experienced beek or club in your area.  That will help you out alot with your questions.  I suppose though that first of all you and your supplier have to both determine what a dead package consists of. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 07:51:42 pm »
Look at the number of dead bees on the bottom of the cage.  The more there are the less live ones there are.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 11:44:54 pm »
Unfortunately, joining or finding a club is not likely.  I live in commercial bee country, all the beekeepers around me are in business.  I have called around to some, and those that I have talked to are too busy with making a living to be bothered with a hobbyist (a lot of cold receptions - I am not faulting the commercial guys, it is just the nature of the beast I guess).  I am the only hobby beekeeper (that I am aware of) for some distance (maybe a 250 mile radius).  Fundamentally, this forum is my club!  I will talk with the supplier who is shipping them - but any shared experience or advice would be appreciated.

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 11:53:21 pm »
How far are you from Towner,N.D. ?

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 12:03:11 am »
270 miles from Towner, ND.

anything