Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anybody watching The Dresden Files?  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Anybody watching The Dresden Files?
« on: January 31, 2007, 02:52:54 pm »
kind of a nice little show.  i like sci-fi channel anyway, but this seems to be one of their better original show.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Re: Anybody watching The Dresden Files?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 05:20:03 pm »
Kathy:

I've been meaning to record this one - ugh. I'm still hoping that they'll make a series of THE SECRET ROOM which like many other shows today (Heroes, The 4400,etc.) will have new characters each week, keeping the how fresh as long as they interact with regulars.

Of course "Regulars" are determined by ratings especially in these new formatted shows. I will be setting up my PC to record this show, I'm always looking for something new in the Sci-Fi/Horror department.

Last note: I listen to about 100 audio-books a year, mostly crime and courtroom stuff but really would like to see more horror which is greatly out numbered by science fiction & fantasy. I'm curious, am I the only person who loves hooro in books as much as film?
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 08:28:15 am »
I am watching it. Doesn't seem to bad. I haven't set up my expectations with it yet.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 01:02:19 pm »
am I the only person who loves hooro in books as much as film?

i like the books better.  i notice that my ebook library does not have a lot of horror book available.  maybe the book readers can't handle it  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 05:40:29 pm »
Kathy:

Here is where I get all my audio-books from - I download them right on to my MP3 player after getting them into my computer and they don't expire in a week as does the same book played directly from the computer download file.

www.listennj.com - this is a great free service my county library system is part of. The rules are simple:

1) you can take out up to 3 books at once
2) you can put up to 5 on hold
3) books expire in 7 days, but you can "renew" the license right away if it is not checked out by someone else, or get back on the waiting list if it is checked out.
4) you are notified when books become available by email - the email is good for 5 days, but you have 48 hours to reply once you answer the email.
5) you can not return a book early, so carefully choose your books :)

I've listened to about 30 books so far through this service - it takes roughly 5 minutes to download or transfer the entire book. Having it on my MP3 player is great, mine is an 8 gig Creative Micro player which easily fits in my shirt pocket.

I listen to 2 to 3 books a week (mostly unabridged - I hate dumb downed books) and I get to listen to them while making rounds to 30+ building on my base when working evenings and midnights, and also when on maintenance during days. It is a great way to fill the 2 hours on the road each and every night to the same old 30+ buildings, which gets really old fast.

I just started using the service a while ago, and I sure hope it is around a long time. My alternative is books on CD, I've given up on getting audio-books from the library on cassette - they just are worn out too much. But my County System's Audio book CD collection is over 40,000 books - wow!!

I just downloaded 2 more to start tonight. I go to bed each night (or day - ugh shift work) listening to the books too, so I really get lots of "Ear-reading" in each week.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 01:24:58 am »
sounds like my librarys program.  i think our check out time is 10 days and i can do 5 at a time, but other than that, it's the same.  i put mine on my mp3 player too.  a couple that i have really liked and want to keep, i have burned to disk.

i also skip the abridged books.  seems like to much is missing from the story.

can't go to be with them.  i fall asleep :-).  i do real books for bed.  paperbacks most of the time so i don't knock myself out when i fall asleep reading!