Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cordovans vs SHBs  (Read 1346 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Cordovans vs SHBs
« on: September 08, 2013, 10:38:23 pm »
I didn't want to hijack another thread so I'll post this question here.

To those of you in SHB territory; How does the cordovans act toward the SHB? I know my Italians are pretty aggressive toward them. I've heard a couple of folk mention how gentle the cordovans are. Mine  ain't mean but you better have something on if you're going inside. Otherwise they leave you alone.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline TenshiB

• House Bee
  • Your happiness is up to you.
Re: Cordovans vs SHBs
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 11:55:32 pm »
We have a mix-up of bees and none of them can stand the SHBs. If you lift up a frame/bar and those beetles start darting because of the daylight, there will be bees hot on their butts in hateful pursuit! [=
The bees that do no work do not survive long. The people that do no work get rewarded.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 01:17:08 am »
i have mutts some hives lean toward italian and some lean toward carnis but almost all of them have some cordovans in them.  the most aggressive reaction i see comes from a swarm i caught  and they are definitely italian/carni with the least cordovans in the mix.  i've got one hive with a high cordovan count.  i'll watch them and let you know what i see.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 02:25:23 am »
None of mine are pure Cordovan, they were Hygienic, Italian, some were nearly black and then I requeened with a Cordovan.  Now all have some in them, the hive that I put the Cordovan queen in has as few or less than the rest of the SHB. 
I was going through my hives after lunch today, there was one hive that still has some drone brood.  Thought there wouldn't bee  any this late in the year.  All had brood boxes full of brood and honey, some had a super full or all most on top.  And the Golden rod is just getting started.  Good luck to y'all

Joe

anything