Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Liquid Nails ?  (Read 3572 times)

Offline BBHJ

• New Bee
Liquid Nails ?
« on: June 16, 2007, 09:13:02 pm »
My Bro & I are starting to build our own equipment and I got to thinking about Liquid Nails. Has anyone tried using it instead of wood glue? Will it work or will it cause the joints to be too ridgid not allowing the boards to expand and contract enough in the joint areas. Would it be harmfull to the bees in anyway if used. I havent compared the $ of it compared to wood glue so even if it would work it may not be worth the price.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Liquid Nails ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 11:29:07 pm »
don't know about liquid nails.  i used some of that gorilla glue for repairs this year.  it worked great!  i had some pieces that were a little split and i didn't want to re-nail.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 09:00:25 am »
Have heard of it, but never used it.  If it is exterior rated, shouldn't be a problem.  I use polyurethane or titebond waterproof.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline ajm

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 10:09:51 am »
  Liquid nails is similar to Titebond.  I use it for building (floor systems ect.).  It would be a good product to use.  I would let it cure for about a day before placing it in a hive.  It can be painted over after it cures and it also keeps the joints nice and tight.

I would say good product and would use it!

ajm

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 01:44:46 pm »
>I got to thinking about Liquid Nails. Has anyone tried using it instead of wood glue?

I prefer the titebond or the elmers exterior glues.  I have used liquid nails.  It works.  It oozes out and has to be aired out a lot longer to get rid of the fumes.  I think the titebond is cheaper.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline wvbee

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 01:14:34 pm »
I have been using gorilla glue for assembling boxes and frames.  I like the fact that it expands and fills the glue joint.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 09:15:29 pm »
If I had liquid nails laying around, I might use it.  If I were buying glue, I'd buy the Titebond II.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin