Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: EZ-Pry  (Read 11589 times)

Offline TenshiB

• House Bee
  • Your happiness is up to you.
EZ-Pry
« on: September 02, 2013, 10:40:42 am »
My brother mistakenly ordered this particular tool from Mann Lake and was rather repulsed by it when it arrived. I thought it was pretty gnarly-looking but loved the idea of it! He got to try it out on some hives yesterday and has fallen in love with it! It works very well.

Anybody else use one of these EZ Pry tools?
The bees that do no work do not survive long. The people that do no work get rewarded.

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
Re: EZ-Pry
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 10:02:08 am »
hard to tell from the picture they have what it really looks like. The picture looks like it has a break in it.

Here is the tool I like the best:
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/product/HD-620.html

Alfred

Moots

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 10:33:12 am »
TenshiB,
I had not seen the EZ-Pry before, looks interesting....I'd be curious to hear from other who have tried it.

Alfred,
That's the exact hive tool I use, and I absolutely love it, with one exception.  I find when I have two boxes really stuck together and want to get the edge of my hive tool in the seam between them and give it a good whack on the back end with the palm of my hand...with nothing but the fulcrum hook back there to hit, it really can't be done comfortably.

As an alternative, I've thought of going to the Kent Williams hive tool.  It looks like it has all the same advantages and eliminates my one criticism.

Link to Kent Williams Hive Tool at Kelley Bees!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 11:23:53 am »
I bought an EZ pry about a year ago.  I misplaced it and have never tried it yet...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Moots

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 12:31:42 pm »
I bought an EZ pry about a year ago.  I misplaced it and have never tried it yet...

Misery loves company!  :-D

Nice to know I'm not the only one who does things like this!  :)

So Michael, whenever it turns up....and it will!  Let us know what you think.  :laugh:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 01:46:25 pm »
>Nice to know I'm not the only one who does things like this!

Not that it couldn't happen at the best of times, but I have been in the middle of buying a house, moving out of one house, into another house, fixing up the old house to sell, fixing up the new house to live, besides working full time and family-- and a lot of things have been misplaced...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline TenshiB

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 02:42:35 pm »
Order another EZ Pry, I think you'll love it, Mr. Bush. And the tool that I got was the Mann Lake Maxant style tool like one of the first responders just posted a picture of.. The hook end is very nice to use, but that EZ-Pry is really a lot faster and you don't have to force it between/under any lugs. That is, it fits nicely between two frames no matter how close together they are. [=
The bees that do no work do not survive long. The people that do no work get rewarded.

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 12:00:26 am »
Might just try that ez pry next time I order from Mann Lake looks like it'll work good
I use the long reach double hook tool, nice & thin flat end for slipping in between the boxes & using the hook you don't tend to kill bees getting the frames loose.
Tried one of those 620s, kept nicking my self with that wicked three sided sharpened end, now residing on the work bench till I figure out how not to bleed using it lol.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline BlalockTwin1

• New Bee
  • Enjoy it while you can.
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 12:19:34 am »
The EZ-pry works great!  I will say that the straight end is more dull than a butter knife...so have the rough side of your Arkansas stone ready for some serious work.  All-in-all, though, if I buy another hive tool it will be because I've lost my EZ-pry. 
Can do, will do, have done.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 01:31:22 am »
I have not tried the EZ pry, but I do have a frame lifter. Problem with a frame lifter is that you have to have a standard hive tool to get the supers apart. Both the kent and EZ pry look interesting.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 02:06:13 am »
I carry 2 hive tools. A normal 1 bend flat bar and a J hook bar.
I use normal tool to break the boxes loose and scrape. The J hook is perfect for prying lifting frames. And should I "misplace" one, I can still work with the other.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Moots

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 10:36:02 am »
I carry 2 hive tools. A normal 1 bend flat bar and a J hook bar.
I use normal tool to break the boxes loose and scrape. The J hook is perfect for prying lifting frames. And should I "misplace" one, I can still work with the other.

hjon,
I've used a similar approach....The problem I've found with using two hive tools is you at least double your chances of misplacing one.  :-D  And when you do misplace one, True...You're still left with one tool, but that one tool only efficiently performs half the task you want it to.  :(

This is why I've been giving some thought to the kent tool, it strikes me as the Swiss Army knife of hive tools.  :)  Although, I'm also intrigued by the EZ-Pry...   

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 11:59:23 am »
>The problem I've found with using two hive tools is you at least double your chances of misplacing one.

...and halves the chance of getting caught without one...
-------------------

Moots

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 12:04:06 pm »
>The problem I've found with using two hive tools is you at least double your chances of misplacing one.

...and halves the chance of getting caught without one...

LOL! Using that logic, maybe I should carry 10!  :-D

Offline TenshiB

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 06:56:33 pm »
Does anyone use the holes in their hive tools anymore? What were those for, anyway, pulling nails? I'm tempted to use them for putting a long string through and just attach the thing to me so I can't lose it.

Moots

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 07:27:40 pm »
Does anyone use the holes in their hive tools anymore? What were those for, anyway, pulling nails? I'm tempted to use them for putting a long string through and just attach the thing to me so I can't lose it.

I want to say I saw somewhere that it was referred to as a nail puller...the only thing I use mine for is to hang my hive tools on a screw on the end of a shelf so I know where to find them when I need them.  Of course, that's assuming I remembered to put them back after the last time I had used them.  :laugh:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 09:54:23 am »
>LOL! Using that logic, maybe I should carry 10!

I usually have two in my pocket and two more in the car...
-------------------

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 10:41:40 am »
 :-D It works on all Tools, just buy a new one and soon there will bee one every where you look  :-D

Makes them easy to find at least one  :lau:

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 12:04:57 pm »
I thought that I was the only one that a bad case of CRS disease.
I got the frame lifter. It works well to get the first frame out.
Later,
Ray

Offline TenshiB

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 10:27:04 pm »
RHBee, what's the CRS disease?