Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: queen marking colors  (Read 5676 times)

Offline ajm

• New Bee
queen marking colors
« on: June 14, 2008, 11:02:48 pm »
  What is the most visible paint color to mark queens with?  I am not concerned about the year to color code but visibility.  Is there any other paint to use than the marking kit paints?  If so where do I get them?

Thanks

ajm

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Re: queen marking colors
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 02:17:17 am »
The most visible would be any color other than inner hive tones perhaps a bright tint.  I use Testors model paint and a match stick.  Following the convention of queen colors allows for management, as you know 2008 would be red.  But you could do something like red with a white dot.  Whatever works and makes sense to you is the best choice IMHO.

David 

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 08:10:14 am »
I would say yellow or white would probably show up best. But there are also some florescent colors out there that would probably show up good too.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 10:35:07 am »
Bright Green shows up really well against all that brown.  Red is good too.  Yellow and white are nice when new, but fade or get dirty and don't show so well later.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline papabear

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 11:24:18 am »
Can you use any kind of paint pen. Is it harmful?
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 01:46:43 pm »
I dont know and have not been able to find any definitive answer to whether or not oil based paint is bad. I know some people use it and it seem to work for them. The paint markers the bee suppliers sell are water based.

I did some research and found a supplier of the Posca Paint Markers who sells them for 2.39 each. That is a lot better then 6.25 that dadant is selling them for. I ordered fine point markers which I think makes it a lot less likely to get too much paint on the queen. I got one of each of the five standard queen marking colors and my total bill was approx 14.50 including shipping.

Go to http://www.durablesupply.com/pospainmar.html if you want to order some. The shipping on the shopping cart said 6.95 but the actual shipping was only 2.something. So you may want to call your order in to make sure that you can get the USPS shipping for 2.50 ish. 
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 01:54:19 pm »
i have used dykem paint pens with no noticable problems,  white out which peals off after a while as does any latex paint.  nail polish works well also and is still visible after 2 years.  i usually marked the queen right on the frame as i've gotten clumsy in me old age and don't want to hurt her trying to catch and hold.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 12:13:44 am »
Blue and green bad on dark queens!!!
John 3:16

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 09:20:10 am »
I find white the best for visibility,  but i have feral bees that are dark.   I've used Testor's pen pens with no issues (still have some white 06ers going strong).   Blue Sky Bee Supply has the POSCA pens for $5,  and they were offering free shipping on them at one point.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 09:44:36 am »
I did some research and found a supplier of the Posca Paint Markers who sells them for 2.39 each. That is a lot better then 6.25 that dadant is selling them for. I ordered fine point markers which I think makes it a lot less likely to get too much paint on the queen. I got one of each of the five standard queen marking colors and my total bill was approx 14.50 including shipping.

Go to http://www.durablesupply.com/pospainmar.html if you want to order some. The shipping on the shopping cart said 6.95 but the actual shipping was only 2.something. So you may want to call your order in to make sure that you can get the USPS shipping for 2.50 ish. 

Guess I should read the whole post and not just skim thru them.  Yes this is a great price, thanks  Greg, I just ordered some replacements.   I do find the Posca pens easier to work with then the Testors.  The Testor's seem to be thinner paint and runs where the Posca doesn't.  I ordered the medium tip because that is what I have now and they work well.  A couple of dabs and your done.   I think it would take longer to get a good size spot with the fine tip and more chances of getting it on her wings and head as she wiggles around.  Just my 2 cents.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 10:18:59 am »
This is an interesting thread.  I spend myriads of time one day last spring looking for something to mark the queens with that I was getting.  I never did find a suitable pen.  The queens never got marked.  I am in Canada, (as you mostly know, hee, hee) and we don't have the products that are in the states.  I imagine that the bee stores have queen marking pens, but that is long enough away that I don't want to travel, I don't want to pay any shipping charges, (seems kind of redundant to me), so I am grasping at thin air.  I know that for surely, at least one female around my place must have finger nail polish, and I bet she had red.....red is the colour for 08 and my queens are all from 08 except for one from last year, she could be the unmarked one, or white, now where could I find white fingernail polish.....thinking....nope, not a thought there. Oh well, gonna find some red polish and as I work each hive, if I get a chance, I'll mark.  The hives are getting pretty full and it is not always easy to find that girl....beautiful and most wonderful day, loving and living life, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 12:05:27 pm »
Yes, from what I have read just searching, white seems to be the most obvious color to use.  I think that all beginning beeks should practice marking queens.  Actually since drones don't sting, and they are easy to catch, perhaps they could be used for practice.  My first marking was pretty sloppy, too much paint.  LOL.  Just my .02.

David

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 02:02:55 pm »
Some years back the emergency response folks began painting all their equipment that neon lime-green color in lieu of the traditional red. They claimed it was more easily seen. Just a thought.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 02:35:11 pm »
I think The fire departments have changed that lime green back to Red & White [ & chrome ] sometime ago.

Lime green didn't show up as well as original thaught, seems it wasn't an attention getter, per Fire Engineer magazine.

Our little town just got a new $750,000 Red & White & Chrome one !!

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 06:56:04 pm »
hey cindi

pink nail polish shows up real nice.   my wife doesn't use polish so i just asked a co-worker if she had any bottles she was ready to trash.  she gave me the pink.

anything