Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello, Newbee from Illinois with a question  (Read 1976 times)

Offline dtl8686

• Brood
Hello, Newbee from Illinois with a question
« on: February 10, 2008, 09:27:37 pm »
 Hi, I'm from Illinois and I am interested in getting into keeping bees with my Dad.  Neither one of us have any experience at this.  An older gentleman keeps bees now at my dads' property, but he doesn't speak english so well and he's getting up in age so our learning potential from him is limited.

I live about 5 minutes from him and he is now retired.  We thought this might be a good father son activity/hobby for us as he is kinda the farming type and I am the animal lover of all types.

My question is if we were to get a couple of books to get us started, what would some of you recommend as a great beginners book that has good information in it that is fairly up to date and won't be a complete waist of money with mostly very elementary info. in it?  Is "Beekeeping for Dummies" any good?

Thanks,

Dave

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Hello, Newbee from Illinois with a question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 09:33:15 pm »
I would recommend beekeeping for Dummies. It is easy to read and understand.You can also read a little here:
http://www.beemaster.com/honeybee/beehome.htm
Welcome and ask all you want to know.Someone will help!!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 11:10:14 am »
Dave, first off, welcome to our forum.  This is a place that will be an enormous learning tool for you, we have some very experienced beekeepers here, and lots and lots of people in their first year, and some that don't even have bees yet.  Ask any question that your heart desires, you will get lots of good answers.

That is cool that you are interested in the bees, you will find out that your Dad will soon become under the spell of the honeybee too, just like you will be.  The more you learn the more you will want to learn, and wait until you get your first bees, no more fun on this earth.  And interesting.

Beekeeping for Dummies is a really good book.  You will get many responses from our forum members here, good luck, stay with us and learn. Have a beautiful and wonderful day, love our earth.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 09:50:15 am »
Hey dude.  Great that you and dad are in this together.  I got hooked on "beekeeping for dummies".  I have checked it out of the library 3 times now.  Just recently, so that I would have it when my bees arrive in April.  He makes it very simple. 

Check out youtube.  I find watching the videos that people have on there to be very helpful.  Good luck.

Dave