Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bonjour from brittany, france  (Read 7156 times)

Offline lizzie

• New Bee
bonjour from brittany, france
« on: May 15, 2009, 06:44:57 am »
Hi,

I'm Lizzie, 37 years old. I've been living in Brittany France for the past 18 months, moved here from the UK....

I am starting a course in Beekeeping or Apiculture (as they call it here). The course is all in French !!!!!!!

I am still learning French, as 18 months ago I didn't speak a word, I would like to use this forum to confirm my translation !!!!

What fun, as if life wasn't filled with enough challenges...

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: bonjour from brittany, france
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 07:15:44 am »
Hello and Welcome Lizzie
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 08:09:50 am »
Welcome aboard Lizzie! Good luck with your new adventure. My wife is Lizzie also, how about that!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 06:39:42 pm »
Lizzie, welcome to our forum, so nice you found us.  It is great when we have new members coming from all over the world.  You will love to keep the bees.  This will be a great place for you to tell your stories, tales and experiences, you will also make some new friends.  Stick around, we love new members.  Have a most wonderful and awesome day, life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 09:02:45 pm »
Welcome to the forum.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 10:22:50 pm »
Welcome Lizzie, what an adventure you are on. A new country and a new hobby!
I look forward to hearing how things progress for you, in both your new language and your bees.

Offline Michael Judd

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 06:30:13 am »
Lizzie,
Welcome to france (i am near Nice) and to bee keeping.
I am new to beekeeping This year.

I found a very useful beekeepers dictionary
you may find it useful

oh ! I have just been banned from putting the link in the post ( how stupid)

If you are interested email me  michael.m.judd@google.com

Michael

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 10:51:24 am »
Michael, all new members here go through a quarantine period of sorts to keep the site free from hackers. You can send the link to one of the moderators for review and they will post it for you.

After a little more time here, you will be able to provide the links yourself. Sorry about the inconvenience, but we all have to go through this in the best interest of the forum.

And welcome to Beemaster!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 09:35:20 pm »
Welcome Lizzie and good luck with your french.
Bobby

Offline Michael Judd

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 02:22:04 am »
J-P

Thank you
I understand

so how do i send it to you
That is assuming that you are a moderatior

Thanks Michael

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 09:49:19 am »
At almost the top of the page there is a bar that go's across the page it has home and other stuff click on staff list and it has all the Moderator's there.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 12:12:30 pm »

oh ! I have just been banned from putting the link in the post ( how stupid)

Michael Judd:

First you haven't been banned, you were alerted you cannot post links and images yet - if you keep trying to post after receiving that warning you surely will be banned by the software itself. If you had been banned you wouldn't be posting right now. So careful on your terminology and if our rules are "STUPID" to you then leave now.

Second - you are asked in 4 places in our forums to ADD YOUR LOCATION to your profile and yet you have not, I surely hope you do that ASAP and without complaining about it.

Third - if you have more issues, keep them to yourself, send a message to a moderator or just leave. You haven't been here long enough to earn ANY PRIVILEDGES in this forum, so I'd calm down if I were you.

I'm not trying to come off mean here, but there is enough posts explaining all this and there are few excuses for new members to see posts marked IMPORTANT: NEW MEMBERS MUST READ THIS!

This is a great place, we ask very little of the members and only 4 posts into your journey with us you have issues - I think you need to read the post in the top forum concerning our bylaws - it is requested strongly of all members. If you don't like the rules, then go away now. If you can live within our rules, then you are welcomed here. But you will be allowed to post links and images WHEN we feel you are ready, so far YOU ARE NOT READY.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 02:29:41 pm by beemaster »
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Michael Judd

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 04:48:21 am »
Dear Beemaster,

Thank you for your strongly worded message, I will of course abide by the rules.

I think you mistake my English, I wrote quickly and used the word banned to mean
that I was stopped by the software from giving Linda from Brittany a useful bee
dictionary. I did NOT continue to try to include the link. I apologize for saying
"stupid"  I was of course referring to the software as I have never come across a
site where you can't send a link.  But, now I know -- for which thank you.

I have the link, I did simply ask to know how to send the link to you. I did look
all over the site for a method to send you a message but could not find it.  I
have  now been told by someone where to look and how to send you a message with
the link on. I have sent you a message, as moderator ( I hope you get it) I would
be pleased if you could approve it and allow her to see it.

It is a four language dictionary for bees and I find it very useful indeed
(as an Englishman living in France) and I thought Linda would also.

I do not think I saw anything that asked me for my location. In fact I saw the
introductory section and entered a message to say who I was and where I lived. 
This message has been posted and has been replied to by three nice people who
welcomed me to the forum. ( Perhaps you did not see this as I notice you did not
respond to my posting). If I find a place to make my profile I will fill it in
fully. In fact as I write I looked in "profiles" and found myself-  Although I
notice there is no location mentioned  I can't find a way of editing my profile to
include a location. So please be kind enough to help me. In fact I live near Nice
in France.

I came across the web site and thought it would be so so interesting I will ASAP
look around and find rules and regulations and do my best to abide by them.

I am in fact a kind and trustworthy person and my instinct was in fact to help
someone else before I helped myself.  I therefore hope that I will be allowed to
stay as a member to contribute and also learn. I also hope that correspondence
between us may become more civil and friendly.

Best regards
Michael Judd

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 09:37:59 am »
Hi Michael,
          Welcome to the forum,
If you go to the profile button at the top of the page and hit that it will take you to your profile.
When you get there you will see a list of options to the left including modify profile, hit that and you are back into your original profile and there is a location question, just fill it in and hit save.
Enjoy your time here and happy beekeeping!

Offline Michael Judd

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 09:59:21 am »
Natalie,

Thank you so much. I found it.  I changed my profile to include my location.

Michael

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 12:11:10 pm »
michael, some of us have trouble with english when it is our first language!  :-)  if you are brought up with another language or another dialect from american english, it's not hard to get confused.

welcome to the site.  you also, lizzie!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 12:25:03 pm »
Michael:

I fully understand that English is NOT an easy language, we have had many members who have come in here over the years who struggle or use terminology that is very literal in English and I have always stuck strongly behind them when their posts come off worded strongly and sometimes offend others. Words and their meanings are so interpretive in so many languages, I praise anyone who learns a second or more language. I struggle to learn Spanish and see the complexity of trying to phrase sentences.

I apologize if I had taken your post too literally and felt that we may have a member who was starting off too strongly and needed to be talked harshly too. As Administrator, it is often my job to be the strong worded guy, making points quickly to prevent future problems, especially with new members, so that they understand quickly that we mean what our rules state.

Here is the link you request be posted, it is a very good link indeed. Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy it here and again I am sorry if my reply to you seemed harsh, it isn't always easy to distinguish the meanings of new members posts when they are written so well using English, it is easy to forget that words have so many meanings and I hope you understand my posiyion to keep the peace here, which most of the time requires no intervention -  but when it does, I do my best to prevent anything before it starts.

Welcome again.

This is the link to a FOUR LANGUAGE DICTIONARY of BEEKEEPING TERMS sent to me by Michael:

http://www.beekeeping.com/goodies/dictionary.htm

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 02:52:33 pm »
You are welcome Michael, glad everything is squared away.
Welcome to the family. ;)

Offline Michael Judd

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 03:52:45 pm »
Dear Beemaster,

Thank you very much for your message. It is very much appreciated.

I am English and date back to 1066. yes 1066
Winston Churchill once said that Britain and America were two countries separated by a common language............

I actually say all the time to my 26 year old twin daughters that Communication is the biggest word in the English language.

Do not mistake me - I know you did your job well and properly. I am quite certain you did the right thing. As a little aside - I hope that our conversation did not spoil the welcome Lizzie from Brittany, France should have received on her joining the site.

I sincerely hope that our little problem - played out in public - serves as a reminder to everybody - not only members of this site - that we are becoming a much more multi national/lingual world.  In our "bee" world it is true also.

Let our bees bring us all together.

Thank you Mr Beemaster for your welcome. I am enthralled by this site and what is can bring to all of us.  Thank you.

Thank you for recommending the dictionary.

I am also here if I can help in any way.

Michael

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 07:01:15 pm »
Michael,

Words spoken like a true Gentleman!

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan