Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Electronic Trap Out ?  (Read 3429 times)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Electronic Trap Out ?
« on: March 18, 2011, 10:05:05 pm »
For you trap-out experts out there, I’m wondering if you could add some electronics to the trap out process to make it less chaotic in terms of bees flying around all day?  I’m a student on this; never done a trap out.

I’m under the impression that the trapped out bees will keep trying to find a way around a trap-out funnel until dusk at which time they give up and look for anyplace warm for the night (the trap hive).  Is this true?  How long does a bee keep trying to find a way around the funnel before giving up?

My trap-out situation is a neighbor with a riding stable, a nearly dead tree with bees within 8 feet, lots of kids around, and uneasy with the bees right next to the horses and kids.   I would prefer to just leave them in the tree and try to catch swarms, but that’s not my call.  Hence I’m looking for a way to trap out those bees without resulting in tons of angry bees flying around for hours and hours trying to get thru the tunnel.  Like I said they ride horses within 8 feet of this tree all day. 

What I’m thinking about is replacing the traditional wire funnel with a tube (say 4” long opaque) and putting a door at the end of the tube.  I would then attach a $5 RC airplane servo to the door so it can be opened and closed electronically.  Furthermore I was thinking of adding a 8 bit micro to it to control when the door opens and closes. 

I’m wondering how effective a trap might be if you programmed the 8 bit micro to keep the door open during the day and just close it about 2 hours before dusk.  The idea would be to reduce the chaos around the hive during the day (open door) and just activate the trap out process in the evenings to catch the last wave of returning field bees.

Thoughts?  Other ideas?  Maybe the chaos of confused bees isn’t as bad as I imagine?

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
Re: Electronic Trap Out ?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 10:10:31 pm »
If the tree is almost dead just cut it down and remove the bees. No-brainer.  :?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 10:23:43 pm »
It's a BIG tree.  I only have a small chain saw. ;)  Besides it's not my property.

The lady thinks the bees are killing the tree to boot!  I tried to convince her the bees are not killing the tree, but once people make up their minds, it's hard to change their opinion.  She thinks once the bees are gone, the tree will burst back to life....

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 12:12:05 am »
Once the trap is set, the bees will be going into the box within 30 minutes. At no time will they be hovering more than a few feet away from the cone.
No, they do not wait until dark to go in the box. They go in because they smell the brood. Many of them revert back to house bees to care for the brood while some stay as foragers and will be bringing in pollen and nectar within 24 hours of the trap set-up.

I think you should go with tried and true, and wait for a more obscure hive to try new experiments. Electronics create magnetic fields. Bees use magnetic fields. It may just confuse them enough to make them aggressive.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 01:31:21 am »
Thanks for the reply iddee.  I’ve never done a trap out and was concerned the trapped out bees would be buzzing all around all day and frighten the homeowners to the point they get out the Raid.  Don’t want that to happen.  From what you say, the bees should stay within a few feet of the tree and that will probably be ok. 

I’ll give your tried and true method a try on this one.

I was not aware bees use magnetic fields; I guess I’ve learned 2 things.  I recall somebody posting a while back about a science fair project for their kids.  Sticking some Neodymium magnets on the landing board might be an interesting experiment to try. :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 08:06:23 am »
PM me for my phone number, or send yours, if you want to discuss details.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*