Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Them chikens are tough!!  (Read 9314 times)

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
Re: Them chikens are tough!!
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 07:32:52 pm »

Check this out, note the height of the snow behind our little home made Yurt!!! We have had about 7 feet this year, this picture was taken the day my wife and I had to snowshoe in to feed the animals... This is just outside of park city, elevation only about 5000ft. It is about 100 yards from our coop

We are supposed to get more tonight and tomorrow. I am hopeing that it stays south.
Cross your fingers.
What a good wife!!! HUH!!!
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 10:11:24 am »
Franz, awesome and beautiful picture of you and yours.  What the heck is a yurt.  Tell us why this structure is here and what is done with it?  I am more than curious (and I bet others are too, I am not the only one that has this malade, hee, hee).

Wow, snow and more snow eh?  When does the snow melt and be gone and spring be there in your area?  I would love to hear about this.  Yes, you have a good Wife, you are a lucky man.  Have a great and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 09:28:19 pm »
Oh Boy, How do I start on the Yurt.. First thing is just to google Yurt and that will tell you about anything and more that you want to know. We spend a lot of time out at "The Ranch" we call it, and we have an old hilbily motorhome that we usually have out there to stay in but that is out of state now serving as my temp office on a project I have going. So we were looking for something quick, mobile, temporary, and most of all cheap! I have seen these round tents (Yurts) around and checked them out online for pricing. Can you say RIDICULOUS pricing. They wanted like $5K for something around 15' in diameter. So ofcourse being the cheapskate that I am and loving to make things anyway. I started trying to figure it out. Bottom line, I made the frame out of 2" PVC with plumbing T's, 45's, and such, my wife found some cheap painters canvas 12oz stuff and some tarps to sew together for the exterior and BAM!~! It ended up being about 13.5' in diameter and 5' tall at the walls. We spend about 3 days total building it. We are into it about $450 in materials and a whole lot of laughs putting it up and having sledding parties. We have had family, friend, and church parties out there this winter just having a blast. I have a small tent stove that my grandfather had, so I built a pipe sleeve out of the top. That is the stove pipe you see coming out of the top. It stays plenty toasty in there. Enough to be a romantic getway if need be.  :shock:
Here are a few more pics

So there you go, the story of the YURT!! Sorry to bore you, it has been the source of great family fun this year for sure.. You find yourself near Park City UT sometime stop by we will take you out to the yurt for sure!!!!
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2008, 09:51:33 am »
Franz, how on earth could you even think that your story was boring!!!  Unlikely, it was a thrill to read how you and your Wife have that innovative side -- and what a beautiful yurt you both have built.  Looking at the pictures, I cannot believe what you have inside of it, I see the tables, the cup hooks, the stove, the cots and so on....holy smokers!!!!  I must take my hat off to you both.  Look at the thousands of dollars you saved, and the fun that you must have had with the assembly, and the fun that continues on with friends and the children.  Yea!!!!!

If I am ever up near Park City, UT, I would surely come over for a party in your yurk, hee, hee.  Not that that would ever happen, but it is fun to go there in my mind's eye.  Anyways, beautiful job and thank you for taking me into this part of your world. Have an awesome and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2008, 09:52:27 pm »

(snip) It stays plenty toasty in there. Enough to be a romantic getway if need be.

Looks like there's been at least three of those getaways  :evil:

That looks like a blast, I know my hubby would love to stay in a yurt set up like yours in the winter.  Enjoy!  :lol:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 12:15:48 am »
Looks like there's been at least three of those getaways  :evil:
That looks like a blast, I know my hubby would love to stay in a yurt set up like yours in the winter.  Enjoy!  :lol:

Ann, you are a naughty, bad girl!!!!  Have a beautiful day, Cindi

anything