Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Yellow jacket nests  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Brian Sisson

• New Bee
Yellow jacket nests
« on: August 25, 2006, 10:51:19 am »
Not so much bee related, but I thought it was somewhat amazing-
Freak Nests!

I wish it had more pictures.  Or directions as I'd drive down there to see something like that......

-B.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Yellow jacket nests
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 12:35:14 pm »
good lord, never seen anything like that before.....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Brian Sisson

• New Bee
Yellow jacket nests
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 01:05:57 pm »
I Googled some of the key words in an effort to find more pictures and found that over the last 10 years or so these giant nest have been appearing with increasing regularity.  
They first thought that they were the product of mild winters not killing off the colony, but now believe that it's a situation where there are multiple queens all laying.  Some of the scientists interviewed in some of the news reports said they expected to see this more and more as this certain strain of yellow jacket became more common.  

I found it odd that in 100% of the stories the person who owned the land/barn/car/mobile home where the nest was said that be had plans to kill the wasps in the immediate future.  I think if I had something like that, I'd feed it....and keep it warm over the winter....and see how big it could get.  

-B.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Yellow jacket nests
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 08:47:09 am »
Weather conditions can create some weird things.  In the parts of the US where we've had such hot drought-like conditions w/o any flooding (as has occured in a few areas) I fully expect to see a heavy locust problem next year if where the winters are mild.  I thing the only hope in some areas to avoid llocust infestations is either a severe winter or forest fires that will kill the eggs.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything