Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive staples  (Read 9788 times)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Hive staples
« on: September 03, 2009, 11:10:32 am »
When using staples to move hives, do you just use them to secure the bottom board and slatted rack (if you use one), or do you use them to hold all of the hive bodies together, too? I had a bit of a disaster one morning using just straps...the hive bodies shifted off the bottom boards a little bit, and the bees were NOT HAPPY about being driven somewhere else!
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hive staples
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 11:18:46 am »
on all.  side,  and back.  have neve had a shift even moving them a couple deep....of course i don't know how  you drive   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 08:42:10 pm »
Bee Keeping books show placing staples between all boxes, boards, everything.

Two stales are placed on both sides of the boxes, and in oppisite angles       \     /

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 09:00:34 pm »
also, if you need something quickly, large electrical staples will do just fine.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 10:38:36 pm »
A strap is more useful than the staples but both is the most secure.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 08:43:23 am »
I'm definitely planning to use both staples and straps; thanks for all the replies!
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 09:35:23 am »
I should have also said above !!

You probably know already;

Close up hive real good, before hammering on boxes. Banging on boxes can make them a LITTLE upset !

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 11:52:16 am »
I use wood cleats with sheet rock screws.  Easy to make and no hammering on the hive.  I just use a regular phillips screwdriver to attach them
[img=http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2112/nonstaples.th.jpg]
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 12:16:53 pm »
I use wood cleats with sheet rock screws.  Easy to make and no hammering on the hive.  I just use a regular phillips screwdriver to attach them
[img=http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2112/nonstaples.th.jpg]

I too have used the wood cleats. They work good, but I prefer the staples.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 12:37:43 pm »
I like staples and straps and nail down the top covers.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline JWPick

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 01:41:05 pm »
Hi all! Staples are good, but have you considered "Z" spring clips? Use your web browser and type in Z springs David Cushman. They are quite nifty and not as permanent as staples and you can attach ALL of your hive bodies, supers, and components together. They are reported to work well during transport or just as a sercuring measure in your own apiary to prevent unwanted raiding by skunks and such, as well as during high wind storms. We don't have any bees or hives yet, but we will next year and we were considering the Z springs for securing all of our components. Just a suggestion.

Offline JWPick

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 01:48:19 pm »
Also, David Cushman shows about how to make your own or just order them. I found a listing by Thorne out of England for them if you wanted to take a look. You have to look under Apiary Hardware fasteners. They show a wide range of them.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 02:03:39 pm »
Hey BoBn is that blood in the pic. Looks like a hobby related accident LOL!!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 02:55:35 pm »
Hive staples pop right out via a hive tool, they're as permanent as you want them to be.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline JWPick

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 03:15:56 pm »
I only meant that staples, if pulled out and then reattached, would cause another set of holes, or indentions, in your nice wood. With the Z clip the screws would be permanent, but the clip itself allows the user to unclip and reclip at will, as well as add additional components (queen excluder, etc.) without causing additional holes to his/her hive components. Sorry....

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 04:04:40 pm »
i wouldn't mind having something permanent on a few setups for cutouts.  especially boxes that i have to leave and pick up late at night or early in the AM.  then again, they seem to stay in those boxes and i'd have to keep putting new clips on.....

Offline JWPick

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 06:06:20 pm »
....it was just an observation of staples and thier results compared to Z clips. I was looking at the overall hive and how to safely secure the the boxes to one another for transport with ease of being able to open your hives later and securing them afterwards without causing any additional holes or damage to the wood. I guess I would prefer the clips to staples. I also considered the fact that one could possibly drop and lose the staple, but the Z clip is still fastened to the boxes by one of the screws, kinda like a little hook lock on a door. After inspecting your hives, you could just re-fasten the clip with either your fingers, hive tol, or pliers, depending on the stiffness of the steel clip. I am new to all of this, but just wanted to put the info out there for anyone reading.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 06:12:21 pm »
With the staples, you can pry one end loose, then swing the staple over when inspecting boxes. When or if you need to move them swivel the staple back over and with a little tap its secured again.

...JP

Offline JWPick

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 06:37:27 pm »
Thanks JP, now I understand how the staples are used correctly. All of these discussions should really help Moonshae understand the many aspects of securing hives. It's wonderful to actually discuss this and receive responses from such experienced people! Thanks again JP!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 06:42:56 pm »
No problem JW. If you ask a question on this site you will get feedback, quickly!

...JP