Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Will Asiptan control ''SHB''?  (Read 2928 times)

Offline beecowboy

• New Bee
Will Asiptan control ''SHB''?
« on: July 02, 2005, 02:26:10 pm »
Howdy Everybody!   I have another one of those questions that I feel stupid about asking. When I would check my hives I would see little black beetle. I cought some of them and looked under a magnafying glass thanks to other post's I found out they are "SHB" In all 4 hives. After I found out what they were I went back in and killed what I could by hand (a bunch) and I saw the bees would kill them also. What do I need to get to protect and rid my hives of them? I have 1 real strong hive 2 package hives and a wild swarm.                                                                         I am the only bee keeper for miles around where could they have come from or are      they just natural?  thanks for any advice or help any one can give me  :shock:

Offline Phoenix

• House Bee
    • http://www.cafepress.com/beeholder
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 05:01:27 pm »
I have not seen any positive results of the use of Apistan in the fight against SHB, but some recommend using Coumaphos(Checkmite).

I would recommend a more enviromental friendly approach, as to avoid the possibilities of the developement of mite resistance to the chemicals mentioned above.  Get a West Hive Beetle Trap, with the use of vegetable oil or FGMO, to suffocate the beetles in the trap.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 12:06:32 pm »
Everyone who has them in places where they are established has found that nothing controls them other than a strong healthy hive.  Good luck.  I think in the end it will be as the wax moths were.  That was a devastating "plauge" when they first got here.  Now we don't think that much about it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin