Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When to use epi-pen?  (Read 10185 times)

Offline John Pfaff

• House Bee
    • HughesNet
When to use epi-pen?
« on: June 03, 2011, 03:17:55 pm »
Two days ago I wa stung 30-40 times around each ankel. The first night my teeth chattered, my body shook and I had frequent cramps in both legs. Last night was peaceful. It still hurts to walk.

What would an epi-pen injection to reduce these symptoms? What do other forum readers do when stung too many times to count?
Later,
John.

Offline John Pfaff

• House Bee
    • HughesNet
Re: When to use epi-pen?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 03:26:40 pm »
Sorry, stung on my ankles - I am sure someone would help me with my spelling if I did not fix.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 03:30:11 pm »
Sounds like benadryl would have been the thing to take for you.  Unless of course you had difficulty breathing or your blood pressure dropped.  Then an epi pen would have been the choice until you got to the doctor or emergancy room.  Benadryl in liquid form is good at blocking the absorbtion of the posion since it is taken up faster then the pill form.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline John Pfaff

• House Bee
    • HughesNet
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 03:36:33 pm »
So, the epi-pen would not help with the shivering/teeth chattering, or the cramping? I do not know - just asking.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 03:46:54 pm »
I'm no doctor but epi is epinephrine  or adrenaline  it is used to react to the poison it could possibly kill you if you are not having a full blown reaction I think again not sure but I would have used benadryl first then if like mentioned before breathing or heart problems arose used the epi pen

Keith

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 03:50:25 pm »
Epi-pens are to be used for symptoms of systemic allergic reaction.  Traditionally, this means itching and hives far from the sting, and airway swelling, but it can also include flushing, sweating, abnormal anxiety (not that it's easy to tell it's abnormal after being stung 80 times!  :'(), rapid pulse, vomiting, and dizziness, if they occur within about 24 hours of the sting.

Your symptoms don't sound like anaphylaxis, but if you are worried you should consider speaking to a doctor about getting tested for bee venom sensitivity.  And use duct tape on your suit cuffs next time!

I can imagine that so many stings on the ankle would cause a lot of pain and swelling in the legs, even if you are not sensitive to bee venom.  But epi-pens don't really do anything for the local symptoms, and the epinephrine might make you very uncomfortable (heart racing or skipping beats, high blood pressure) if you take it when there is no systemic reaction to counteract.  For your (really strange) symptoms, who knows!  I definitely wouldn't recommend using an epipen for symptoms like that without medical advice.  The amount of epinephrine in an epi-pen shouldn't kill you but can give you some really nasty side effects and maybe do you some damage.  It's meant for life-threatening situations only.

Take some Benadryl ASAP after getting many stings in order to keep the swelling down, and apply ice to the site of the stings.  It won't stop you from absorbing the venom - the bees have already made quite sure that it is in your body - but reducing swelling will make the pain less.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline octagon

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 03:53:23 pm »
you might want to go get  cked to see if you are allergic, those Epi pens are about 100.00

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 04:10:24 pm »
It won't stop you from absorbing the venom - the bees have already made quite sure that it is in your body - but reducing swelling will make the pain less.

Injection of the venom is only part of absorbing the venom as it is a neurotoxin it must attach to nerve receptors.  Benadryl blocks it from attaching to the nerve therefore little absorption.

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 04:49:17 pm »
if you use an epipen, it is because you have already decided to get medical attention (like the emergency room).

deknow

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 04:51:28 pm »
It won't stop you from absorbing the venom - the bees have already made quite sure that it is in your body - but reducing swelling will make the pain less.

Injection of the venom is only part of absorbing the venom as it is a neurotoxin it must attach to nerve receptors.  Benadryl blocks it from attaching to the nerve therefore little absorption.

Ooops.  You're right about absorption.  But not about that bit with the neurotoxin.  Part of bee venom is a neurotoxin (apamin), true.  But it's a toxin that binds to SK channels (Calcium-activated potassium channels).   Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is a sodium channel blocker and a H1-receptor histamine blocker.  So it works to prevent the absorbtion of histamine, which is also a component of bee venom.  That's why it helps reduce the inflammatory and allergic response to a bee sting.  Benadryl doesn't do anything to prevent absorption of apamin.

So you're right that absorption is important to the bee sting response.  But it's not the absorption of the neurotoxin component that is affected by Benadryl, but of the histamine. [/nit-pick]

deknow has the take-home message.  Don't use an epi-pen unless you already think your next stop is urgent medical care.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 04:57:35 pm »
And an epi-pen won't cure anything, just give you enough life to get to the ER.
Rick

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 05:24:32 pm »
Part of bee venom is a neurotoxin (apamin), true.  But it's a toxin that binds to SK channels (Calcium-activated potassium channels).   Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is a sodium channel blocker and a H1-receptor histamine blocker.  So it works to prevent the absorbtion of histamine, which is also a component of bee venom.  That's why it helps reduce the inflammatory and allergic response to a bee sting.  Benadryl doesn't do anything to prevent absorption of apamin.

I've had bad local reactions to stings and have tried to take Benedryl to help with the swelling but it didn't.  I guess the above explains why; it's not an allergic reaction, just a localized one.

I can only imagine the pain and swelling of 30-40 in a single area.

Has anyone tried using a basic anti-inflammatory (ibuprofin) for a reaction like this?  If so, did it help?

Offline John Pfaff

• House Bee
    • HughesNet
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 06:24:37 pm »
Yes and the answer is that a basic anti-inflamatory does not begin to touch it.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 08:11:24 pm »
the benadryl will help with the swelling if it's taken right away.  it also may help with the itching later, although i fine a hairbrush to be more effective. (and the Vagisil)

the muscle cramps were probably from protein dumping into your system.  you may feel a bit crappy for a few days.  drink plenty of fluids to flush it out.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 10:20:41 pm »
I've been told meat tenderizer works when put on the site of the sting.  Don't know if it really works but I think it was more something my grandpa told me to shut me up when I was little.   :-D

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 10:27:30 pm »
?

It would have shut me up also.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 11:53:20 pm »
Although I'm desensitized enough to not need it anymore, meat tenderizer (adolphs) seemed to work really well for me. It breaks down the proteins.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 01:05:43 am »
I use the Children's Liquid Benadryl, cherry flavored, yum, yum.   I usually take about 1/4 of the bottle, maybe even more if I had 40-80 stings.  Can't really overdose on the Benadryl. They also make Benadryl topical application sticks to apply to the site of the sting. Ice is great too for the swelling. I think the sooner you down the Benadryl after the sting the better.

I have an epi-pen cause I had a really bad reaction (full body hives, flushing, major swelling) last year.  But since that bad reaction from one sting on the hand I have been fine.  Got stung 12 times on my legs last month with virtually no reaction at all.

You have to have a prescription for the eip-pen and the pen expires after a year, so you have to keep getting one each year.  Mine with insurance cost about $60.  Ask your doc he recommends.

Linda D
linda d

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 08:37:19 am »
>What would an epi-pen injection to reduce these symptoms?

No.  It will help keep you breathing and your blood pressure up to closer to normal if you are dying from anaphalxis.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin