Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Extractors - Need an Opinion  (Read 3941 times)

Offline Parksguyy

• House Bee
Extractors - Need an Opinion
« on: June 27, 2013, 02:35:25 pm »
Hello everyone,
Second year Cdn beek here, the girls are well on their way to providing me with honey this season.
I only have 4 hives, may increase that alittle but not big time ... purely just a hobby.  Its time to get an extractor and living on the other side of the border seems to cost awhole more  when it comes to beek supplies, such as this.  I've come across a company called Kinghoney which also has a Cdn office in Vancouver.  They have an extractor, the Rotoblast H1000 which holds 2 deeps or 6 shallow frames.  Its a hand crank model, 18 gauge stainless steel (Mann Lake ones are only 26 gauge, Maxant are 20 gauge but pricey), SS basket, conical bottom and comes with legs.  The few reviews there are, are good.  Price is good at $350.00 including tax ... free shipping as well.  Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of these and/or had the chance to use one.  To order something that has to come across the county not really knowing the product is alittle worrisome.  Any advice anyone has regarding this extractor or others please let me know.
Thanks 

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Extractors - Need an Opinion
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 12:13:53 pm »
Sorry haven't tried any of those.  In my local bee club a member that lives about 10 miles away has been letting me use his.  At the moment I don't remember what it is , but it is a 12 frame.  I am in the process of finishing a home made one.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 02:30:33 pm »
I see no reason to buy an extractor for four hives unless it's used, well built, and cheap.

http://bushfarms.com/beesharvest.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline wapiti5x5

• Brood
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 08:40:03 am »
check with your local bee club.  they may have one to borrow or a member would loan you one.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 12:05:00 pm »
Hello everyone,
Second year Cdn beek here, the girls are well on their way to providing me with honey this season.
I only have 4 hives, may increase that alittle but not big time ... purely just a hobby.  Its time to get an extractor and living on the other side of the border seems to cost awhole more  when it comes to beek supplies, such as this.  I've come across a company called Kinghoney which also has a Cdn office in Vancouver.  They have an extractor, the Rotoblast H1000 which holds 2 deeps or 6 shallow frames.  Its a hand crank model, 18 gauge stainless steel (Mann Lake ones are only 26 gauge, Maxant are 20 gauge but pricey), SS basket, conical bottom and comes with legs.  The few reviews there are, are good.  Price is good at $350.00 including tax ... free shipping as well.  Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of these and/or had the chance to use one.  To order something that has to come across the county not really knowing the product is alittle worrisome.  Any advice anyone has regarding this extractor or others please let me know.
Thanks 

I agree with the others on your level a club or agreeable beekeep would be the best option. If you have to have your own machine and you don't plan to get any larger then this sized unit would be fine. I looked at the pictures on the site. That looks like a nice unit. For the price, I would buy it.
Ray
Later,
Ray

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 06:47:46 am »
for only a small amount of hives, here's a thought maybe?

http://youtu.be/obo8QV7brE0

anything