Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I'm sitting on these eggs  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: I'm sitting on these eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 01:05:35 pm »
By the way. She hatched 11 eggs. One of them died however so she has ten chicks.  :-D

Last I looked she only had seven eggs  :shock:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 04:45:41 pm »
She seemed pretty serious about hatching those eggs. :)
I hate when they go for your hands but its that shreek they do which is unnerving to me.
She must have had some eggs hidden under that straw you didn't know about.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 05:10:44 pm »
looks like a buff orpington. I never had any of mine go for me like that, but I may have already been away when they went broody.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 06:02:06 pm »
A couple of mine do it when I am collecting eggs.
I know that they all like to use the same 2 nestboxes so when I go out to collect eggs there is usually a dozen or so in each box and there is always someone in that box.
I can't keep going out to see if the box is clear to collect eggs (although its happened on occasion and I love to go out there and see an empty box with a dozen multicolored eggs in it) so I usually just lift up the hen/hens and reach under and pull out all the eggs.
It actually just happened to me about a half hour ago, 3 hens crammed into one nestbox and I lifted them up to get the eggs and one of them starts that high pitched shrill that gets louder and higher that usually results in her pecking my hand away only this time she had so many biddies crammed in with her she couldn't get to my hand.
Most of them are good natured but its always one of my marans, a sex link and an easter egger that usually do it.
I was surprised that one of my buff orpingtons did it to me the other day because they are usually so easy going but she hasn't done it since.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 06:25:24 pm »
Most of them I just reach under and get the eggs no problem. But when this one went froody she just got mean. Even now with the chicks she pecks at me. Another one that looks just like here hatched nine on the 31st. I don't have any problem with her. She is the one I lifted up and two eggs fell out of her wings.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 02:14:05 am »
Yeah my wife, kids, and grandkids will all wait for the hens to get off the nest before collecting the eggs.  They'll take as many as a dozen trips out to the hen house.  Not me, I just reach under the hen and grab the eggs, don't even lift her up.  Gotta a hold of one a while back that really set the hen off, seems it was still being laid when I nabbed it.  So warm I almost dropped it.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!