Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Caught two more swarms in last two days.  (Read 2054 times)

Offline BEEMAN

• House Bee
Caught two more swarms in last two days.
« on: April 06, 2010, 11:31:40 pm »
I was contacted by a lady at work yesterday about a swarm of bees on her chain-link fence. I passed by her house on my lunch hour and put the bees in a hive in about ten minutes.  The swarm was about three to three and one half pounds or so. I left the hive with the top partly open and went back to picked up the hive up at dusk. All he bees were in the hive. It was another easy swarm. They were only about six inches off the ground. This is the fourth swarm this year.

I got a call this morning about a swarm of bees in a tree about 20 feet up. I went to check them out and found that I did not have a ladder tall enough to get to them. The home owner got an extension ladder and we put it in the back of his pick up truck and I was able to reach the swarm. The swarm was a large one, about five to five and one half pounds. They were very tame and it took me about an hour to get them all to enter the card board box I used to put them in at the top of the ladder. This was another easy swarm other than having to climb a tall ladder. This was the fifth swarm this year.

Seems that the swarm season is in full swing in southern Louisiana. Hope everyone is doing as well with swarms as I am doing at this time.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Caught two more swarms in last two days.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:38:49 pm »
Sounds like you are having a good time catching swarms, great job.

No swarms here that I have heard of, but then again no drones yet either, want be much longer.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

anything