Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 3rd deep body?  (Read 2669 times)

Offline knittingbee

• Brood
3rd deep body?
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:16:24 am »
I'm caring for a third year hive that is overflowing with bees, heavily "bearding" 24/7 for about the past month.  New to beekeeping, I've been trying to figure out what (if anything) to do, and the consensus seems to be to add a third deep body (and add / remove honey supers as they become full...which I've been doing all along.)

Where do I add the 3rd deep body?  On top of the current two?  Between the current two?

Thank you!

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
Re: 3rd deep body?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:11:41 am »
I have 3 deeps on my hives, because it is my first year keeping bees and im playing it safe to get through winter. But i do not know your location so i dont know what your conditions are like there, you can go to your profile and put it in so that you are not (hoplessly lost) anymore and this will also help for anymore questions you might have in the furture.

I just keep adding my boxes ontop of eachother and did the same with my 3rd deep to and they drew and filled it out perfectly and now already have 2 more supers ontop of that to.

To reduce bearding i have screened bottom boards and screened inner covers, but you could also put a slatted rack bettween the brood area and the bottom board.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 03:39:46 pm »
Knittingbee.  Welcome to our forum.  You have found the great place to ask your questions, answers will come.  Have a most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 08:30:31 pm »
 I would add to the bottom or top do not split hive in two.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 08:37:58 pm »
Welcome to the forum and if you got a question I know you will find the answer here