Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just getting started  (Read 3738 times)

Offline flatford39

• New Bee
Just getting started
« on: August 20, 2008, 08:07:21 pm »
Hi, everyone!!!

Just found this place & looks like a great place for newbies like me to belong too. I am planning on starting a colony in my backyard next spring for our personal consumption (hopefully) & also to help pollinate our gardens & because I think it would be a great thing.

We live in a semi rural area where our neighbors raise chickens & keep horses as well. We have about an acre & half or so, so I don't think it's going to be a nuiscance situation with our neighbors.

We are organic gardeners and will try the organic route with the bees. I have been doing research for about the last year but am really glad to find this site as it looks like alot of info can be found here.

We live in NE Illinois so we are in a four season state.

Hope I don't make a fool of myself with my questions but sometimes you just need to ask.

Thanks,

Tom

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Just getting started
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:14:45 pm »
 Hope you in joy beekeeping and add your location to the profile.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 08:42:51 pm »
You want never feel foolish here for asking a question,  and If you ask someone will have an answer.
welcome aboard.

Offline flatford39

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 08:54:49 pm »
Hope you in joy beekeeping and add your location to the profile.

Thanks for the advice. I just put it in.

Tom

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

Offline flatford39

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 08:56:14 pm »
Thanks,

I am going to read and do searches here over the next few weeks & then I will start asking questions.

Tom

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 10:40:51 pm »
Welcome Tom!  You are going to fall in love with these little bugs! There is so much information here it will take you till next spring to wade through it all!  Ask away.  We are lucky to have the knowledge of so many different people in different places with different ideas & experiences.  You will avoid some mistakes but amazingly, will make some too!  Again, welcome  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 11:51:55 pm »
flatford39,

coupe or sedan?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 04:43:13 am »
Welcome to this forum!

You kan find lots of information here.  I read in this forum for several years actually before getting my bees this spring.  And don't be afraid to ask questions, but I see you have already tried the search feature, and very often you can find answers to your question by using this search features.  I also found great joy of reading John's beekeeping course and logbook.  One thing is reading about all facts in a beekeeping book which gives you important basic knowledge, but I also found it educational to read about stories from the life of a beekeeper and what kind of problems and worries and victories he had. 

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 07:13:50 am »
Hi Neighbor!

This forum is a great place to learn more about bees and beekeeping. As you've discovered, the 'search' is a neat feature. I love being able to find "instant" answers to my questions.

I also recommend that you get involved with a local beekeeping club. Clubs often have beginning beekeeping classes, and are good places to find mentors and nearby beeks to help you get started:
http://www.isba.us/index.affiliate.htm

Offline flatford39

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 11:05:08 am »
flatford39,

coupe or sedan?

Deluxe Coupe

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 11:55:11 am »
Tom, welcome to our forum.  You have found a wonderful place that you can learn and learn and learn.  And you will find, the more that you learn about the life of the honeybee, the more you will want to delve deeply into their secret little lives.  By the time you get your bees next year, you will have a wealth of information you have gleaned, and you will hardly be able to wait until you can bring this from the depth of your mind, to bring into reality.  Enjoy your stay with us.  Ask as many questions as you want, and never, ever think that a question is dumb, irrelevant or does not deserve an answer.  We all were once there, beginning our studies with the bees.  Have the most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything