Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Purchasing bees for the first time - When?  (Read 5666 times)

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
Purchasing bees for the first time - When?
« on: November 02, 2008, 08:53:18 pm »
I know to start in the spring after the last freeze, but when do I actually order bees? I have done some browsing and see that many sites (still a bit outdated?) that read "Sorry sold out for 2008 season". I am wondering if I have to order very early and the bees will ship in April or how does one actually go about doing this? I am still reading books about starting bee keeping but don't want to miss out on getting bees for next season!

Thanks,

Jeremy Cowgar
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline dhood

• House Bee
    • WD Hood Apiaries
Re: Purchasing bees for the first time - When?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 09:24:48 pm »
It is best to contact your supplier early. I have already ordered packages from my supplier two weeks ago, for pickup on the first week of April. You could probably wait until Jan. or so, but most don't charge you until you pick them up anyways, so I wouldn't take a chance. If you could find a supplier locally that you could pick them up that would be best, many times they show up with alot of dead bees. Also, I would recommend starting with at least two packages, if its your first bees. You may find it to be beneficial to the survival of the colony, I did.
Hope all goes well, Daniel

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 09:29:43 pm »
 hey jeremy!
 Welcome to the forums!!
 Just to be safe, I would place your order now.
 Last spring,( The spring before the one we just had) I ordered mine in November. I got my two packages at the beginning of April. I dont know if I coulda waited another minute for my bees to get here!
 Ordering is the first step...Then learning patience is the next step.THATS what you'll learn for the next 6 months while waiting for the bees!!!
 Of course this advice only pertains to you if you want to go the "Package" route....You might find somebody between now and then that has bees close to you and can help you out..I suppose If you got a complete hive now thats all prepared for winter, that would be cool.. Its kinda cutting it close now for you as its pretty close to being winter where you live, isnt it?..Somebody else here closer to you will chime in and tell you right, just to be sure, I bet!
  Keep on reading stuff though.....You'll find tons of information here in the forums!!

your friend,
john

Offline dhood

• House Bee
    • WD Hood Apiaries
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 09:32:53 pm »
Also, here are a few Ohio packaged bee suppliers on the list. I have never ordered from any of these, since I'm from SC.

Pason's Gold Apiaries (419) 235-7037 *(Pickup only)

Queenrite (440) 647-2602 (Will Ship)

Waldo Ohio Bees (740) 542-6241 (Will Ship)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 09:37:09 pm »
here we order early February for April pick up.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 10:28:45 pm »
I like to order as early as possible.  One year I had to scramble to find bees so I rather be ahead in the game.
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 10:36:05 pm »
I have order my bees about a month ago
 Johnny

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 07:13:40 am »
Try to find a supplier now and find out when they want to take orders.  Here we get them between early and late April.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 08:09:43 am »
I tried to order early last season and my supplier though I was nuts and said they "put me on a waiting list".  Good thing I called in Feb cause my name wasn't on the list.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 08:32:03 am »
I think most suppliers will only take orders after the 1st of the year.  I know that Brushy Mountain starts taking their orders (pick up only) in late January or early February.  I ordered my two packages last February for late April pick up.  Everything went fine!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 09:49:18 am »
I bet you feel like a kid at christmas time :-D I did  :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 11:01:39 am »
http://www.blueskybeesupply.com/  The guy who runs this place goes to Georgia and picks up.  He took orders as late as mid Feb.  He is located in Hiram, OH.

WWW.Queenright.com :  They get theirs from CA.  I picked up at their locale (Spencer, OH) last year.  They were a month later than expected, but by no fault of theirs.  Since I am a first year beek, I can't speak for the quality of the bees.  We will see in the spring.  Definitely start with at least 2 packages.

Good luck,

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 01:59:10 pm »
I recommend getting a locally-raised nuc instead of ordering a package. Get involved with a local club - there are several active clubs in your area:
http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/Regional%20%26%20County%20Clubs/countyclubs.html
Clubs are great places to find mentors and get connected with nearby beekeepers. Club members can direct you to local suppliers who sell nucs (& other equipment).

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 02:05:18 pm »
Clubs sometimes sell packages too, local or not. My local club, for example, takes orders and makes a package run around Easter.  They will often have a few extra packages as some people may back out last minute, or will be able to get a few extra last minute if you need them.  

It is something to keep in mind in case you get in a pinch and can't find any.

Rick
Rick

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 08:01:35 pm »
 Irwins RIGHT! This is gonna bee the closest thing for you to be a kid at Christmas again! Maybe better!!. I think, when i got my bees, that was the most emotional and fun experience of my life. I think the wait had to do alot with what I dealt with. I've mentioned in here in earlier posts, that the day i picked up my bees was comparable to Lassie coming home in the movies! I was almost bawling I was so happy! All over 2 little crates of BUGS!
 They were next to me in the front seat of the truck, just mildly humming away. There was even 1 little bee holding onto the outside of the cage who i assumed had stayed on the cage all the way from Navasota just to be with his family!
Ohhh, Happy Day!!!

your friend,
john

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 03:46:55 pm »
Thanks Guys, I just ordered bees from QueensRight. Now anxiously awaiting for the 1st week of April. It was -11f here this morning when we woke, so spring will be welcomed for more reasons than just my first bee keeping season.

Jeremy
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 05:56:26 pm »
Jeremy, this will be the longest 3 months you will ever have!  I was ready to explode waiting for my girls like a little kid waiting for Christmas!  Read & get everything ready! J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline mudlake

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 07:49:42 pm »
It's almost as bad waiting for the first bee's as it is waiting for spring after the first winter. Good Luck  Tony

anything