Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Yet another truck of bees crashes  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Yet another truck of bees crashes
« on: July 23, 2008, 03:50:25 pm »
I saw on the news that a semi hauling bees crashed in MN. It seems to me there have been quite a few accidents involving bee truck crashes. Since I am kind of new to bee keeping, does this usually happen throughout the summer?

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Re: Yet another truck of bees crashes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 01:51:53 pm »
When's the last time (before this year) that you remember seeing that on the news, period? 

How many people have said over and over again on this very forum that trucking bees around from coast to coast is bad?  I'll bet they weren't even thinking about this.  I wonder in terms of the ag loss, how many thousands of dollars of damage that did?

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 02:11:19 pm »
Try millions when you get down to it.  Not only do you have bee loss, you have truck damage, crops not getting pollinated, honey not being made.  The trickle down effect is huge, I'm sure, This is the 4th crash I heard of this year.  I wonder how many I haven't heard of.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 02:14:51 pm »
How many hives can each truck hold? And does anyone know the recovery rate of them?

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 04:42:51 pm »
I saw an article mentioning one truck was carrying 450 hives.  Another 330.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 05:29:35 pm »
I did an online search on the subject, but to no avail, the only thing I found was " Livestock " Truck accidents between 2000-2006 with over 200 recorded accidents with cattle taking the cake. Just imagine the task of checking every hive for the Queen in a post-accident situation, I wonder how these beeks do it, and I wonder if there is a BEEKEEPER CRACK TEAM established for such a scenario or do they just call the State Apiarist to round up some local beeks to deal with the daunting task.   :(

anything