Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: what to do with old frames of honey  (Read 2344 times)

Offline drmwarden

• New Bee
what to do with old frames of honey
« on: April 24, 2005, 06:56:49 pm »
I had some equipment returned to me from a friend whose bees starved last winter (weak colony and not enough stores where the small cluster could reach).  One deep body is empty drawn comb, but the other has quite a lot of honey in it.  I will be installing a new package this week, and I was wondering if I should put the body with the honey on top.  I thought since it is late to be starting (I'm in Maryland) that this might help the new colony get established more quickly.  I don't have another deep body, though, and am not sure if I will need to do something so that there are two brood chambers.  I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
OLD HONEY
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 09:10:53 pm »
WHAT i WOULD DO IS PUT ACOUPLE OF FRAMES ONEACH SIDE OF THE FIRST DEEP AND DRAWN FRAMES IN THE MIDDLE INSTALL THE PACKAGE OF BEES IN THAT BOX THEN PUT THE SECOND BOX ON TOP WITH THE HONEY AND ANY DRAWN COMB I WOULD ALSO PUT A POLLEN PATTY FROM MAAN LAKES BETWEEN THE TWO THAT WOULD GET THEM GOING
KIRKO
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 10:22:36 am »
I agree with Kirk-o,  put the honey frames on the outside and the empty combs in the middle.  Depending on where you are (you haven't provided you location in your profile) if there is natural pollen available,  I would forgo the pollen patty.  If natural is available, they will choose it over the patty.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 10:25:02 am »
Maryland. It's in the body of the post. But yes it should be in profile for future reference.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

anything