Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: NBC news tonight  (Read 20768 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
NBC news tonight
« on: April 04, 2007, 10:42:45 am »
This evening NBC news will do a report on CCD. That airs at 6:30 pm in my area. Check your local listings.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: NBC news tonight
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 10:56:49 am »
Brendhan, you are a walking wonderful source of information.  I am going to be watching NBC tonight, I will be checking out the TV schedule today (well, actually my husband will, he is the information gatherer).  He loves to read, gather information, sort information.  He is the type of guy that if you ask him to do some research on anything, he is the first to get on that band wagon.  Have a great day, guy.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 10:41:16 pm »
Cindi,
Thanks, do me a small favor and let me know what they said I had to work late today and missed the evening news.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 09:52:53 am »
It was the typical news story about CCD.   Bees disappearing and know one knows why.   About the only thing that really stuck with me was the orchard owner that talked about the bees collecting pollen to make honey :roll:   DOAH!!!!!!
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 10:13:48 am »
Brendhan.  Oh brother!!!  I forgot to watch it, I was busy cooking food to take to our daughter's house this weekend and just plain forgot.  Well, Robo said it anyways, sounds like it was boring and go figure, that dude thought that they were collecting pollen to make honey, eeeks!!!!!  Have a wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 06:27:40 pm »
The report was short on substance.  The beekeeper used in the report seemed more interested in bloviating than being accurate.  Lots of empty hives  in the background an no mention or demonstration of the amount of loss.  Typical NBC News story--Superficial.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 11:03:52 am »
Brian,

I actually caught the NBC bit while visiting a friend. I generally avoid all media as matter of habit but this was unavoidable. Anyway, you are spot on regarding the lack of substance. But remember: this is not a matter of negligence. It is a perfectly calibrated product that is measured to the attention span of the American audience. One second longer, one ounce more of content and people would be changing the channel.

While I am not necessarily a fan of public radio/television either, it is undisputable that one finds a vastly greater amount of content there. That's why I was curious as to whether anyone had listened to the show on CCD. Apparently it focused on cell phones. Should be interesting to see if anything comes from it however unlikely that may be.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 04:55:34 pm »
If its cell phones, the bees are going, going, gone.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 09:53:02 pm »
If its cell phones, the bees are going, going, gone.

Man, the whole cell phone thing makes me mad.  If cell phones were causing it, then the bees would have been gone over 100 years ago when Marconi made the first radio transmission.  That's all cell phones are!  Just fancy duplex walkie-talkies!  And they put out tiny amounts of radio emmissions.  Like 200 mill-watt.  Your local AM radio station puts out somewhere around 50,000 watts!!!  That's not counting TV stations, ham radio stations, satellite stations, and the millions of other types of radio communications.  Cell phones are not the bandit making the bees go away.  The sun by it's self puts out radio emmissions a trillion times that of our tiny human radio technology, every second!

I'm not sayin I have the answer to CCD, but I know it's not cell phones.  There's no way possible.  Unless there are teenagers out there talking on their cells while driving and running all the hives over with their cars.

I know CCD is scary but I think the media has blown it out of proportion once again.  I say let's try to be a little more organic and see how things turn out.  Playing God has never worked in history past, so why should genetic alteration of food and bees and such be ok?

Sean
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 10:43:51 am »
I pick HFCS, pesticides, GMO stuff.  The bees are overwhelmed!!!  Not that I even know much, but it isn't really too hard to read through all the lines.

There was a post by Dane, I think, that described about the GMO.  It was interesting and I should re-read it, somehting also about how insects are forgetting where they live.  Hmmm...  Best of a beautiful day, great health.

I gonna make so much food on my property, the bees won't even have to go anywhere else to dine, and I know that I don't live close enough to "farmers" that have myriads of orchards to spray crap in, that maybe I won't have the CCD that is afflicting the nations!!!!  I have great aspirations of healthy bees this year.  Now we won't know til come the fall, but that is my intent.  Cindi

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 05:24:29 pm »
I don't believe its cell phones either. They would have disappeared on the east coast first(or wherever cells first became popular) and the colony collapsing would occur more frequently in congested areas where cells were present, or as someone else pointed out, when radios became popular enough, as oppossed to spots throughout the country. I think its going to be  a multitude of sins having an aggregate impact, coupled w/ migratory beekeeping causing stress.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 09:29:56 pm »
The Media likes bad news lots of bad news I avoid the media its all bad
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline organicgrl37

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 09:32:44 pm »
I was wondering.....has anyone else heard that this has happened in the past. I read an article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer that some old timers remember the bees disappearing like this about 40 or so years ago. Could this be one of nature's strange yet amazing cycles? :-\ I just wonder.....

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 12:48:28 am »
There were collapses in the 50's after the Korean War and another in the late 60's early 70's.  There was no definative answer to the causes then just like now.  Only now we have a lot more possible sources of blame, insecticides, pesticides, GMo's, stress from moving, etc.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 09:02:43 am »
If it leads to a ban on cell phones, then I say, lets blame the cell phones!!

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2007, 06:26:33 pm »
If it leads to a ban on cell phones, then I say, lets blame the cell phones!!

Now that's just plain silly!  Ban cell phones?  Why?  They've become such an important tool today, getting rid of it would be like going back in time.  Then everyone would be using CB radios in their cars again like Smokey & The Bandit.. "BREAKER 19 FOR THAT RUBBER DUCKY!  YA GOT YER EARS ON.. OVER!"  lol
I couldnt imagine doing my job without a cell phone!  I'd have to stop and use a pay phone every 10 miles!

Sean
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2007, 10:46:42 pm »
Sean, Sean, Sean, please. Granted, the cell phone is one of the cleverest, most profitable gimmicks ever created. But one simply has to consider it's degrading effects upon society:  the increase in public boorishness, the diefication of banality, radical increase in danger on our highways, etc. And now bees perhaps. Why?
Seriously though, my wife and I run extremely successful businesses, have 3 kids (2 in college), run a farm, coach soccer and lead perfectly contented lives - all without a cell phone. We have opted to resist the herd rush to own yet another toy...and instead we have an amazing freedom.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 11:13:48 pm »
I don't even like the land line. You can't give me a cell phone.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 11:31:41 pm »
Good man! We are, I fear, a dying breed I'm afraid.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 12:58:29 am »
Unfortunately, so are the bees a dying breed.  CCD. 

anything