Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: " It's an easy one, just come and get 'em"  (Read 2357 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
" It's an easy one, just come and get 'em"
« on: April 20, 2006, 09:13:37 am »
Hello all,
Yes, I had a customer call me with that information, said they were in a wall, (they were in a ceiling) and yes they were exposed, but they were angry, angry, bees. Found out the ceiling was dropped 3 weeks prior. A major section of brood comb was on the floor (it fell when they opened the ceiling) Of course the bees had filled the void with new comb by now but what a disruption. Clearly the bees didn't like their nest being exposed like it was. The people did not want to kill them and I respect that. Huge numbers and a good bit of comb. It's amazing what you find out in person. I wear playtex living gloves (the yellow ones) when I work bees it gives me lots of dexterity. Of course you do get an occasional sting through the gloves which I don't mind, but this colony was mad regardless of smoking them, and my poor hands are aching today.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
" It's an easy one, just come and get 'em"
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 10:27:03 am »
the only thing they left out was "and come dressed in Speedos!"   :oops:

I've had all #$^# break loose many times, housed bees are stubborn and often generational - they know no other kind of life except the calm living of a hive with the gentle buzzing of humans on the other side of the walls. Then, one day, their world is turned into a disaster-zone like an tornado cames through and from that minute on it's them or you - they just don't understand that FEMA has come to help ( Bee-FEMA not what we pay billions for to shuffle paperwork back and forth for) and sadly enough, you aren't their to just pump out the basement or patch some siding, you want to move the against their wills and there is NO EASY WAY TO DO THIS without drowning and squishing hundred and even thousands of bees.

I just wrote that for anyone NEVER tackling a room removal - it is a tough thing to do MOST of the time. You have to be ready for WW3 because they are not going to want to go easily.

Remember speedos, boxer shorts and little sticky notes saying "You missed a spot" attached to all the places they haven't stung yet.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
IT'S AN EASY ONE...
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 08:23:07 pm »
Beemaster,
My hands still hurt and they look like they were in an ant pile. You know, I don't think this hive would have been that angry 3 weeks ago but they've had time to brew and think about the humans who invaded their privacy. Of course they took out their aggression on me!

PS: a friend of mine said walmart sells these orange finishing gloves in the paint department that are about twice as thick as Playtex living gloves yet you still have dexterity. I will be picking up a pair soon.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline livetrappingbymatt

• New Bee
it's an easy one!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 03:17:24 pm »
we hear that all the time. what i 'd like to know is if it were that easy why do they call us?
bob

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
easy one
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 10:35:28 pm »
my sentiments exactly Bob, but as long as I keep getting calls I'm happy. There is a lot of competition in my area from others who remove swarms and perform cut outs. I am just happy to meet new girls. Of course the flying type, cause my wife would kill me otherwise, she's Cuban. No stereotype intended, but if the shoe fits...