Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bee suit for dallas tx area  (Read 4028 times)

Offline rgy

• House Bee
bee suit for dallas tx area
« on: January 16, 2013, 02:24:59 pm »
We just moved to the Dallas area from MI. and all of our equipment is in crates stored at the moving company.  So it looks like it will be easier and cheaper to just buy new.  What would you recommend for a bee suit?  I'm thinking a full cover all type suit as I think I will most of the time be in shorts and the combo may be cooler than jeans and a bee jacket. thanks for suggestions.

Moots

Re: bee suit for dallas tx area
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 02:59:10 pm »
I'm in Southeast Louisiana, so I wanted a ventilated suit to help with the heat. I ended up going with the full suit from Golden Bee Products!
Golden Bee Products

The other suit that I've heard good things about and considered was the Untrabreeze Suit
Ultrabreeze Suit

From what I've read, you won't be disappointed with either of these.  So far my early impressions with my Golden Bee Suit is that I'm very satisfied!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 03:39:32 pm »
I would get one of the above two ventilated suits if you can.  They have some cheaper ones, that are not built as well, but would do from Jester Bee and some others.  Jester was the one who get them made but then the manufacturer started selling it to everyone else (Mann Lake, Pigeon Mountain etc.)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 05:42:53 pm »
rgy, sad to report you're missing out on some nice crisp weather up here in Michigan.  A good bee suit about now would be a snowmobile suit  :)

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 06:19:37 pm »
rgy, through in the towel did ya? I spent some time in Tx. Worked for a company that built Plano High School. Let us know what you think come August, OK!

Moots

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 06:24:11 pm »
tefer2,
Small world...In the late 80's in between my first and second (more successful) runs at college I moved to and worked in the Plano and Desoto area for about a year.  Being from South Louisiana, the heat wasn't an issue...Snow and Ice on the road was more my learning curve!

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 06:37:34 pm »
Rgy. 
You would do well to consider the ventilated type bee gear.  Dallas gets hot!!!!!!!!
Mid summer in a full standard suit will cook you quick!!
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 09:52:06 pm »
Vented jacket.   Cooler, better.  I wear shorts with my jacket when it gets super hot.  Otherwise, jeans work good and you don't have many layers to sweat through.  

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 03:17:07 am »
Find a local that care bear that Texas heat to inspect for you.  :-D

Offline rgy

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 12:14:12 pm »
thanks all!  yep, through  in the towel and headed to the SUN!  can't take Michigan GREY season any more.  May have an entirely different attitude come July and Aug.  We went to a bee meeting monday and found out just how far behind we are, they are inspecting for brood this month and reporting pollen being brought in.  I don't have equipment ordered, bees, or a place to put them yet but ordering today.  Don't know how it will go over in the apartment complex:)

We are north of dallas in Allen, yeah the 60 million dollar HIGH SCHOOL football stadium!  Housing starts are insane, lines out the door of the model homes.  Corporations moving operations to the DFW metroplex.  I wonder when someone is going to figure out that there is NO WATER hear.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 12:35:26 pm »
It's always been intense there. Enjoy the light and get some sunscreen fast! :-D

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 12:47:16 pm »
Housing starts are insane, lines out the door of the model homes. 
That's when you know you're not in Michigan anymore  :(  Good luck down there. 

The rule of thumb is if you can survive 3 summers in the Southern heat, then you can make it down there.  The first summer is a new experience so you don't really notice how hot it really is.  The second summer you realize how hot it is and pray for some Canadian relief which will never come.  The third summer either drives you crazy or you adapt and become one of the natives. 

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 12:51:14 pm »
It's best to move in the dead of there winter weather. That way, you blood thins out as it warms up.
Have you found a tree yet. I think there are a couple over at Southfork! :-D

anything