Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Plastic frame uncapping  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Kona Bob

• New Bee
Plastic frame uncapping
« on: January 03, 2017, 08:44:25 pm »
Hi all
I have bought some 1 piece plastic frame / foundation sets to give a go in some honey supers. I thought they may hold up better with tangible extractor I use.
Question is will an electronic uncapping knife be to hot and melt the plastic frames. I didn't think about this before I ordered the plastic frames and I'm thinking for sure it will melt the plastic

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Plastic frame uncapping
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 10:30:39 am »
If you don't push the knife tight against the plastic it should be fine.  The honey will be cooling it if it's past boiling (100 C or 212 F).
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kona Bob

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 05:32:36 pm »
Thanks mate

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 10:15:40 am »
I would try to avoid getting the sharp edge into the plastic.  I only had a few plastic combs when we got our first nuc and at that time I didn't have an uncapping knife.  I used a serrated carving knife and had no problem.  The bees should extend the cells a little so it should be easier than you think.  I am sure the heat will have no effect on the plastic.  You can always use a hive tool or scratcher.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it