Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Collecting Pollen for Sale for Human Consumption  (Read 2810 times)

Anonymous

Collecting Pollen for Sale for Human Consumption
« on: May 31, 2005, 11:50:20 am »
Ok, so let's not get into any big discussions about the validity of pollen consumption for humans.   :roll:  I know there are different schools of thought, especially after searching on this topic.  But I didn't see a lot of information about the proper care of pollen after collection if you want to sell it for human consumption.  Here's what I mean:

I have a Sundance trap on the bottom of my strongest hive.  I'm getting about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup each day.  I'm putting each day in a separate baggie and putting it in the freezer, unsealed, to help it dry a little.

How long, in the freezer, before it reachs appropriate dryness?

Is it a waste of time to keep it in separate baggies?  Should I just dump it in a big tupperware container and aggitate from time to time?

What do you do?

I'm going to construct my own cleaner using a computer cooling fan and some detailed plans.  Should I defrost before cleaning?  Does it matter?

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to your responses.

John

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 12:13:24 pm »
:(  Lots of views but no input?  I figured there'd be more folks doing this.

:D Oh, well.  Looks like I've got the market cornered!   :lol:  :shock:  :roll:  :D

Offline gsferg

• House Bee
    • http://www.sweettimeapiary.com
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 09:21:27 pm »
Hehe... yer just ahead of the game, you got no corner on the market. I'll be collecting pollen, and pondering some of the same questions you are. I have yet to get a pollen trap- just hived some NUCs today. In a few weeks...

I figured I'd be sun-drying the pollen right off, then freezing it. I don't see any sense in keeping it in separate baggies.

Lemme know how you like your Sundance, and keep us posted on your cleaning scheme.

George-
"So long, and thanks for all the fish"

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 09:27:01 am »
Quote from: gsferg
Hehe... yer just ahead of the game...

:)   Yup.

Update:  Keeping separate baggies has really only served one purpose so far.  It's shown me how quickly the bees are adapting to the Sundance's alternate entrance.  Pollen collection has increased over five days from the first of barely a quarter cup to almost a cup yesterday.  Each day was noticably increased.

Also, my first pollen was at the tail end of the black locust bloom, which apparently yielded bright yellow pollen.  As of yesterday, the pollen is over half dark greens and brown.

Interesting.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 10:25:50 am »
It tastes the best fresh frozen, not dried.  But if you want it to keep outside of the freezer, you need it dried.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin