Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bee vac  (Read 3054 times)

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
bee vac
« on: July 05, 2009, 12:04:03 am »

Someone gave me a small wet vac with a 1 horse motor, is this enough power for robos bee vac plans?

Thanks, David

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: bee vac
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 12:49:15 am »
I'm not really sure if its a compatible match for robos beevac but my storebought beevac has a little baby shop vac motor that makes it work...I'd tell you the amps on it but its at my workplace....I have a 750 watt inverter that I use my beevac with from my truck battery, so, if you do what I do, you'll want to know about amps too so you can either get the right blower motor or the correct amperage inverter. My 750 amp inverter goes off ALOT while using it with my bee vac and I have to reset it often.
Just a little info I thought might come in handy for you later when you do find a blower motor.

your friend,
john

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 04:01:00 am »
Yes, you don't need alot of sucktion with bee vacs.

Someone gave me a small wet vac with a 1 horse motor, is this enough power for robos bee vac plans?

Thanks, David
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 04:22:28 am »
the smaller the blower is the tighter you will need to have the hive bodies put together. I put weather stripping on mine to try and seal up all of the small cracks. Duct tape works wonders.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 08:15:59 am »
It may work, I have had some folks have success with 1.5HP vac.   You are going to have to make sure it is perfectly sealed up.  Using only one hive body and no cut-out shim will improve your chances.  As G3 says, duct tape works great,  in fact, maybe "seal up a bee vac"  will make the next "1000 uses for duct tape" book.   It will limit the length of hose you will be able to use.   I usually suggest using the biggest vac you can so your options lose options are not restricted. With the bypass,  you can precisely adjust the suction at the end when you have your hose configured.   There is nothing worse than needing one more section of hose and not having enough suction.

good luck,

rob....
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 02:48:47 pm »

Thanks Robo. I can seal it well enough, but the length of the hose it will be able to adequately accommodate might be another story. I'll give it a try, if its not strong enough I'll have to buy another larger one. I just got this one for free so I thought I would give it a try

David

anything