Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New to Bees  (Read 1891 times)

Offline fremont

• Brood
New to Bees
« on: May 06, 2007, 10:31:02 pm »
I just got some bees and a queen-Italian. I put them in the hive yesterday. They dont seem to be taking to the sugar solution as the level hasn't dropped at all in the last 24 hours. I'm using a Dadant do it yourself kit which allows for the bees to get to the peerforated jar lid  through a dedicated entrance. Is it normal for the bees to not take any sugar solution initially? I'm worried about them not getting any food. If anyone out there can provide input i'd be obliged. Thanks

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: New to Bees
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 10:51:13 pm »
You should put your location in your profile. If the bees are out flying and able to get nectar and pollen thay may not be interested in the sugar water. If it is real cold they may not take cold syrup.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: New to Bees
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 11:21:40 pm »
New to Bees, you may want to consider using an inside feeder. The ones that go in where the frames go. Just remove one frame. They come in deep and mediun sizes. If you have only one hive/colony, robbing may not be a factor unless there is wild/ferrel bees in your area. Or if you are not within a couple miles of another bee keeper.  You shouldn't have a problem with an outside feeder during a nectar flow, but when the flow slows it could create a problem. If and when you get several colonies you don't want to do anything to trigger a robbing "frenzy" it's real ugly. :(
doak

anything