Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Vent box location on hive?  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Titus

• House Bee
Vent box location on hive?
« on: April 08, 2009, 02:06:50 pm »
I'm going to be using all medium supers on my hives (2), i have a top feeder from Kelley that is the large pan with a super around it.  My question is should my ventilation super (about 2.5" deep with 6, 1" screened holes around it) go under the top feeder, or over it and under my plastic hive top cover?  I also assume that when the top feeder is in place, that I dont use my inner cover over it.
Thanks

Titus

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Vent box location on hive?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 02:18:11 pm »
I wouldn't use the vent box and the feeder at the same time.   Always put the vent box on top of the inner cover and not vise versa or there is a good chance they will fill it with comb.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Titus

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 02:45:22 pm »
Ok, thanks.  Now after I start the package, at what point do I take away the feeder and just use the cover and vent box?
And I've heard its a good idea to throw a protien patty in there with the feeder when starting them?  I start the pakage on the 18th...

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 03:15:46 pm »
Ok, thanks.  Now after I start the package, at what point do I take away the feeder and just use the cover and vent box?
I wouldn't worry about the vent box for a while.  They will continue to dwindle for the first month until brood starts to hatch. Heat makes more brood quicker,  so keep them sealed up until you get some heavy bearding.
And I've heard its a good idea to throw a protien patty in there with the feeder when starting them?  I start the pakage on the 18th...

If you have plants/trees in bloom, don't waste your money on a pollen patty,  they prefer the real stuff and will ignore your expensive patty.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 06:55:39 pm »
I'd feed until you seem a little bit of capped honey in the hive.  That's an indication they actually believe they have some reserve.  At that point if it rains for a week and they can't forage they will still do fine.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin