Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: can you identify this bee?  (Read 4338 times)

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
can you identify this bee?
« on: November 24, 2006, 04:21:31 am »
I like this pic. Its one of mine but Ive never asked what sort of bees I have. I presume Italian?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: can you identify this bee?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 10:27:16 am »
Mick
I don't know an awful lot about bee types.  I think that it is not an Italian (input anyone?).  I think that Italian bees have three yellow bands that are very noticeable.  They are a very light coloured bee.  This may be Carniolan (input correction anyone).  Carniolan are very dark, like this one, and very grey, hairy, fuzzy bees, like this one, so that is my guess and I am sticking to it.    I know that up here the common are Italian and Carniolan and they do look very different, I have both and extremely noticeable differences are observed.  Maybe someone can positively identify it for you.  Good luck, I would be very interested.  Beautiful picture, by the way.  What is the bee foraging on?   Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 10:42:16 am »
although the picture is fabolous, i can't claim it's a Carniolian. well, maybe i can, she's very hary , and that's why it's called Carniolan grey-grey hair.  i'd say 95% it's a Carniolian.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 10:49:42 am »
I still contend it is the grey, hairy Carniolan, that is one of their important features, the grey, dark hairiness, I am about 95% sure too.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 02:20:53 pm »
Looks Carniolan to me, but it could be a mutt.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 04:42:39 pm »
I have no clue about which kind of bee this is, but the picture is fabulous!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 05:43:54 pm »
Come on you guys. Anyone can see it is a honeybee.  :roll:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 06:42:53 pm »
I vote MUTT!!!!!!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 07:08:05 pm »
Are you saying my bees are Bastard bees??????? oh the shame of it all. What will the neighbours think :shock:

Come to think of it, they seem to be hairier than 12 months ago, I thought it was like down on all the babies. I better have a good look tomorrow.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 07:18:06 pm »
took me ages to find an appropriate picture, this is 100% pure Apis mellifera Carnica:

picture taken by: Branko Obranovič

i think your's is to, the picture is confusing, it looks as if the bee has hair EVERYWHERE, not only on the rings, show us more pics
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 06:13:46 am by Mici »

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 10:34:10 pm »
Mici
Beautiful picture, man can we all take the gorgeous pics, all the pictures I have looked at on this forum are very nicely taken!!!!  So, ya, Carniolan!!!  Good research, good work!!!  What is the bee foraging on?  Pretty flower.  Great day. Cindi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 10:38:24 pm »
Further input, I think that is characteristic of Apis carnica, very hairy, all over, head to toe.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 06:16:03 am »
Further input, I think that is characteristic of Apis carnica, very hairy, all over, head to toe.
yes, like we said, hairs make her grey. but still, the rings on her abdomen should be exchanging, black ring, grey ring.... it doesn't look like it on the pic, but it must be, she really can't have a full hair abdomen.

the flower is "Panešplja" (Cotoneasterin), i have never heard of it

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 07:46:58 pm »
It looks like a successful bee to me
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

anything