Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Here we go again  (Read 2884 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Here we go again
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:45:06 am »
For the second time in three years the local bee club meeting has been rescheduled due to.....get this....A swarm has moved into the Ag center where the meetings are held!

Due to the policies set by our former Chief Apiary Inspector,Jerry Hayes, the building will be closed so that the bees can be EXTERMINATED. Such a sad thing. I pitched a fit the last time they did this and plan to pitch another one this time!

FYI, Jerry Hayes (yes the same one who writes the "Classroom" column for ABJ) has moved on to greener pastures and has taken a job offer from none other than the Monsanto Corp. I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot about him in the future!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
Re: Here we go again
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 10:52:30 am »
Hogs in confinement. Worlds getting to crowded, too many people with too much time on their hands and not enough to do.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 11:12:23 am »
Well that stinks, I was looking forward to the monthly meeting. Gotta start hanging a swarm trap at the Ag center in the spring. Bet you would pick up some free bees.
Ed

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 01:08:20 pm »
best way to shame them out of this stuff is to get interested press around to follow/question the policy. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 01:10:33 pm »
Well that stinks, I was looking forward to the monthly meeting. Gotta start hanging a swarm trap at the Ag center in the spring. Bet you would pick up some free bees.
Ed
I doubt it. The state would get it first and they destroy every one they get.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 04:29:17 pm »
I met Jerry in person only one time. That was enough for him to earn a position near the top of my ""not favorite person"" list. Glad to hear he has moved on.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 04:45:32 pm »
You would think that will all the beeks there, someone would sneak that swarm out.   But I do see their point to stop AHB.   

Offline Poppi

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 04:48:49 pm »
Hey Scott...    that is totally absurd....  I think Kathy has a great idea...  find some media folks that are aware of the honeybee's problems...   and get it on TV...   one hope is to draw local attention to voice an outrage...  good luck.  John

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 05:33:16 am »
The problem with this "kill all the feral bees to stop AHB" is that it has exactly the opposite effect.  I leaves a vacuum to be filled and AHB had proven itself up to the challenge of filling it.  Killing all feral bees because they are assumed to be AHB is a self fulfilling prophecy.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 08:26:59 am »
The problem with this "kill all the feral bees to stop AHB" is that it has exactly the opposite effect.  I leaves a vacuum to be filled and AHB had proven itself up to the challenge of filling it.  Killing all feral bees because they are assumed to be AHB is a self fulfilling prophecy.

!  Excellent  ! 
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 10:58:26 pm »

I agree, The next time I see Rob, our inspector, I will bring this up.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 12:38:30 am »
Same guy who told us we shouldn't do any night time inspections when we were down in West Palm Beach because that would encourage thievery! We did the inspections anyway.  :lol:

Seriously? Bee keepers fooling with bees after dark, is that even possible?  :-D Not so according to him.

Don't let the door hit his %$# on the way out!  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 10:58:06 pm »
Damed if I would not try for the swarm and claim they must have moved somewhere else.   
If they turn out to be HOT, pinch the queen and start over.  You at least end with a colony and they appear to be getting a little scarce.
Regards
 Joe