Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pomegranates wont grow, how come?  (Read 3505 times)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Pomegranates wont grow, how come?
« on: October 10, 2007, 10:24:04 pm »
Hey yall, I have 2 pomegranate trees,4 years old now. For the life of me I havent had any pomegranates, just the flowers. I kinda thought that my bees would help them make fruit but they havent, They arent ornamental either according to the plant store. Got any ideas what I can do next spring? (other than yank 'em).
your friend,
john

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
Re: Pomegranates wont grow, how come?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 11:31:39 am »
Hey,

I love pomegranates ..... pom tidbit ...... how do you get all the seeds out fast?

A. - Cut in half along the equator, place cut side down on palm of hand and whack the heck out of it w/a tablespoon.

It really works.

Bye the bye, for us in the less temperate climates what does a pom tree look like??

cheers

peter

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 12:19:04 pm »
Supposedly the flowers are hermaphroditic...whatever that means.

Have you tried to pollinate them by hand?
Rick

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 12:28:54 pm »
Hermaphodite = Is both male and female

FWIW

cheers

peter

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 01:52:21 pm »
4 years old trees, perhaps they are young. Next year will be better.
Do you water enough the trees when flowering?

Here the pomegranates are like wild bush around the road.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=11332.0

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 01:02:57 am »
Ok,...pomegranates look a little like a willow as it has little leaves, sort of narrow.The flowers sort of resemble a carnation except not as round and lots of layers...You cant see very well down into the flower and my bees dont seem to care for them either.
Yeh, maybe they dont get enough water. I had drip systems all over my garden, around all my "bought" trees and in my potted plants...Unfortunately, I mowed the main hoses a couple of times and didnt mend them to where they would work right. I guess i'll fix my water lines and give them more water this spring and see what happens...Thanks for the tip.
  By the way Scads,...I have a lot of garden spiders just like the one in your avatar!..I take pics of them all the time!...They'll be dying soon tho....They've all made their eggsacks now and usually after they do that(sometimes even 5 or six) they just die and I find them on the deck dead...its sad. Actually, My wife and I go out of our way to protect the eggsacks through the winter and the spiders are back in the spring!..We call them our "Grandchildren"!
ok, I better go,...
yalls friend,
john

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 12:54:41 am »
Lots of fruit trees won't bear until they are at least 4-5 years old and some 5-8 years.  The smaller bush type fruits like Quince will bear at 3 years.  Quince is also used as the root stock for dwarf trees.  If you plant a 2-3 year sapling from a nursery it will still be a couple of years before it bears any real fruit. 

They will flower, they just don't set fruit well.  I wouldn't want a young tree bearing fruit until at least 5 years old anyway, the limbs aren't up to holding up the fruit.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!