Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another north central Texas newbie  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Lonestarpearl

• New Bee
Another north central Texas newbie
« on: June 02, 2012, 08:25:30 pm »
Hello to all!  I have been an organic gardener for many years and recently been attending the local bee keeper club meetings  (and joined the club.)  My father-in-law is building a top bar  hive for my family while I have been doing research (educating myself about bees) - there is much to learn!   I am interested in talking to anyone who has a top bar hive and some advice for a newbie. 
   A little about where we live:  our neighborhood has large lots (2.5 acres or more) where we are allowed to have livestock and poultry (we have chickens and guineas).   We have a large vegetable garden and serveral flower beds.  We also have many mesquite trees in the neighborhood which I have been told the bees work in spring (bloom time) and we have a few fruit trees in our yard.     We also have been planting blooming bushes and shrubs in preparation for getting a hive.  I have tried to get clover established in parts of our yard but last year we had a drought so it didn't do so well  (I will keep working on that.)

I look forward to getting to know other people who love gardening and bees!   

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Another north central Texas newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 08:49:04 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  I do have a tbh but it has frames.  I had built the tbh and a guy in the club I'm in gave me some bees in a tbh nuc.  I hadn't opened them until I got them home and they had built their comb on the sides none on the bars.  I built frames on my topbars where I could tie the comb in.  Since I need a few done that way when ahead a did the entire hive.  Works pretty good.  On you planting flowering plants, I have also, but they range huge areas.  Good luck with your bees.

Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:09:01 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 11:02:17 pm »
Welcome to the site!

Offline Lonestarpearl

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 04:28:07 am »
Thank you for the welcome and the info about your tbh.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 09:04:09 am »
Welcome to the forum Pearl.

anything