Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: AUSTRALIA DAY 2013  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
AUSTRALIA DAY 2013
« on: January 25, 2013, 10:10:14 pm »
  Up comes Australia day and we have one drongo wanting to change our Sports flag and another nong bringing up the republic debate again only to start up a barney between us codgers and our mates.

Me and my true blue mates reckon these ratbags are one roo short in the top paddock and it is time we jacked up on these earbashers who should go walkabout in their utes to somewhere out the back o'Bourke not to return from the never-never ever.

We have certainly got our knickers in a knot about these dingbats who are just making smoke screens for our pollies to smother the debate on our economy, health services and the adoption of Nova Perris without a chinwag with the local party members.

Anyway it's time to rack off as I'm aggro enough now so it's time to put some prawns on the barbie and open a slab of VB with my ocker cobbers.

So it's hooroo from all the larrikins in OZ.
  Have a grouse Australia Day.

PS.  For ya'll who cant read dinkum Aussie refer to :-    http://goaustralia.about.com/cs/language/a/strinea.htm
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:25:08 pm by Geoff »
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: AUSTRALIA DAY 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 10:50:12 pm »
Sounds a fair approximation of many american goatroper dialects.  I am happy that you are proud of it and salute your homeland and its adherents on a designated tempis for said firma's celebration!  HOOWAH!

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 10:58:24 pm »
Happy Australia Day, or Survival Day as they say on Palm Island.

I was going to organise another aussie quiz today with some great vegemite prizes, but I ended up carting manure instead.  It might have to wait another year.

The cricket in the rain is on again in full swing, so I might go to the horse paddock and watch the neighbours for 5 minutes.  That is usually my contribution.

Lone

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 11:14:12 pm »
  Thanks Vance. My learning for today means I now know what a goatroper is.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 11:59:28 pm »
The pleasure is all mine in your new knowledge, but goat ropers never had a hit american song about tieing their kangaroo down.  The honor is still yours! 

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 08:46:56 am »
well geof  having spent 64yrs on a farm and a good bunch around rodeos and people who raise cattle for a living , i still dont know what a goat roper is unless its someone that doesnt have a rifle to shoot the stinking suckers.
you gona load up lone and mick and make it over this yr?
to bee or not to bee

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 09:05:31 am »
  Well Bud I had to research what a goatroper was and it seems he or she might be one of those cowboy types who get done up in the chaps, high heel boots, spurs, stetson and all that clobber, but have never seen a horse or could sit straight in an outhouse !!!
    It looks like this year I wont be able to afford travel and a divorce in the same year but I'm working on it, in fact I'm still doing penance from my last trip. Have been talking to Lone now and then but Mick hasn't put his head up for a long while, would really like to meet him in the flesh.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 09:27:30 am »
HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY , Geoff, and all.

Dinkum?? Sounds a lot like just normal southern redneck to me. Understood it easier than I do some of these yankees from Newww Yok.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 10:50:44 am »
Happy AUSTRALIA DAY to you all.  Back years ago when I was in the Navy, we would go to Hawaii every year an play war games with the Austalian and Canadain Navys.  Made some friends, have lost touch and names but still have the memories.

Joe

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 12:03:21 pm »
down here we just call them drug store cowboys.  use to have a ball by inviting them out and almost cry when they get a little scuffed or a little bleep on them fancy duds (from laughing)
to bee or not to bee

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 01:03:12 pm »
Yes, Drugstore cowboy was the term for the wannabees here too.  I think it came from a movie about a pair of city boys in full western regalia and in the heart of the underbelly of the city.   Urban Cowboy??  Voight and Hoffman?   I took idiots to our farm to ride horse from the city but I rapidly figured out that mostly they lied about any history riding a horse.  The horse would come home without them and that put an end to it.   

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 10:17:50 am »
... great vegemite prizes, but I ended up carting manure instead. 

Isn't that the same? :-D

Seriously, we had an Australian exchange student for a year when I was in high school.  Learned all kinds of stuff, and yes had some vegemite.  For the uninitiated it won't kill you but you think it might.  Really salty and not what Americans think of putting on their toast for breakfast.  Had some more couple years back and it wasn't that bad.

Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 07:33:14 pm »
My mate told me a story the other day of when he was at the Australian Bakery Cafe at Marietta GA.  A man came in and asked for a coke.  "And make it quick. I have to get the taste of vegemite out of my mouth!"

No it's not bad at all, DC.

Lone

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 04:22:36 pm »
Lone,

It's an acquired taste that I have not yet hit critical mass with yet.  But it actually tasted better than I remembered, though it's still no where as tasty as strawberry jam on toast.  Ironically, I was informed this morning that I may be assuming distribution responsibilities Australia and New Zealand where I work.  This will involve a couple weeks in Australia and invariably some Vegemite along with it.  I'm a pretty adventurous eater and there are only 2 things that I've eaten and I will never eat again, Uni and Limburger cheese.  
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 07:04:04 pm »
When you buy Limburger cheese, it is best to wait til you find some past the expiration date.  It is just then starting to reach its full delicious potential!  And If I was a guest at your home and you served vegemite or your cat, it it was what you were eating, I would eat it.  Now don't get me wrong!  I like cats, its just that not many people know how to prepare them properly!