Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brought my trap-out home  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Rex Smith

• House Bee
    • Harmony Hollow Apiary
Brought my trap-out home
« on: April 05, 2012, 01:25:06 pm »
I went back to last week's trap-out site last night and gathered the nuc-box and brought all the ladies home.

Today, I checked on them - and they seem to be doing very well.  They have not drawn out any more comb (I had provided them a frame of comb/eggs) - but I had removed about 1/3 of the bottom of 3-4 cells that contained eggs on the frame.  Just to let them have a head start on creating a new queen.

The frame now has those 4 cells started as queen cells, and they created a few more on the opposite side of the frame - that I had not removed the bottom off of.

The ladies are bearding from the other (foundationless) frames, and I believe they may start drawing more comb - as I'm now feeding them in the bee yard (feeder with only 3 holes in it placed next to the nuc) - I have my other hive a bottle to suckle on to keep them from trying to rob the trap-out nuc).  Should I just add a frame of nectar/honey from my other hive to the nuc to make feeding less a potential frenzy?

I'll wait til they draw a few more frames before I move them to a 10-frame box - unless someone here thinks I should go ahead and transfer them... I'm thinking, though, that they need a bit more.

anything