Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees are coming tomorrow  (Read 3636 times)

Offline frodog1023

• New Bee
Bees are coming tomorrow
« on: May 01, 2014, 11:07:40 am »
Hi everyone,  I'm new to this website and new to bee keeping.  Just got my top bar hives ready for the season and my bees will be arriving tomorrow or Saturday.  My question is how many top bars should I start with for a three lb package of bees?  It's still quite cold here in Upper Michigan and I want to make things as cozy as possible for my new colony.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for taking the time to read.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Bees are coming tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 11:59:07 am »
Welcome to the forum frodog, what town you live in?

Offline charlie b

• House Bee
    • You Tube
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 12:12:03 pm »
Hi Neighbor..

I will be putting a nuc in my Langstroth Long Box which is designed and set up as a TB... By the way, I'm from the Ashland area of Wi...My first yr hear but everything I read, I would put in 10 frames, just like a normal hive...Put in your follower board and add the rest of your frames when they draw out 7....https://www.facebook.com/groups/614096545339364/

Offline HomeSteadDreamer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 12:36:07 pm »
I start with 3 to 5 bars.  Check back in a week to see how they are building them out. 

Offline frodog1023

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 02:57:18 pm »
Thank you all for the input,  can't wait to get my bees now.  I live up in Baraga for those that asked and can't wait for some better weather!!  I'm a little worried for the bees because we have zero blooms and buds right now.  This winter just won't quit this year. 

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 02:12:33 am »
I started my TBH with 8 bars for a swarm I caught back a few years ago.  I have one follower board that I put a boardman feeder behind with the entrance to it under the follower board.   You may have a different way of feeding, just throwing it out there.  Good luck

Joe

Offline fruitveggirl

• New Bee
    • Happy Hour at the Top Bar -- a chronicle of my beekeeping mistakes and misadventures
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 10:25:22 am »
I've always heard 10-12 bars for a package. Wild swarms prefer cavities about 30-40 liters. If you wanted to figure out how much space that would be, you could try looking at the links on this page:
happyhourtopbar.blogspot.com/p/bee-math.html

Offline Ryan820

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 10:37:22 am »
You'd be surprised by these bees. I would have sworn that nothing was blooming when I got my bees this year but they found something! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything