Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just checking in  (Read 2461 times)

IndianaBrown

Just checking in
« on: May 05, 2006, 02:25:15 am »
I just started a keeping a hive for the fist time, with a nuc I bought last weekend.  I have been interested in beekeeping for several years, but I finally have the time/money/land to get started, at least in a small way.  I am looking forward to bugging you all with silly questions.  I expect that some of the things I am doing and/or plan to do will raise some interesting discussions.

My wife and I recently bought a house on a fairly large lot inside the city of Indianapolis, IN.  We have 2 small children, and many visitors.  After checking with the neighbors on either side I built a small (approx 6' by 7.5' by 4.5' high) enclosure near the back of our property, surrounded by tight lattice to screen the bees and force them to fly over the heads of any children that may be nearby.  

So far the bees seem to be doing well, (although I can not figure out why they are flying out of sight when there is some kind of tree blossoming right over their enclosure that always has several bumblebees on it.)  I am just trying to be patient enough to leave them alone for a couple more days before their first inspection. :D

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Just checking in
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 07:26:31 am »
>although I can not figure out why they are flying out of sight when there is some kind of tree blossoming right over their enclosure that always has several bumblebees on it.

Two reasons.  One, they can detect the richness of the nectar and will work a better source over a lesser source.  Two, they are loyal to a source until it runs out, so if the other source was blooming first they just keep working that one.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin