Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oxalic Acid Vaporizer  (Read 13847 times)

Offline homer

• House Bee
Oxalic Acid Vaporizer
« on: September 06, 2009, 12:09:04 pm »
I am making my own vaporizer and trying to keep it as small as possible.  Could anyone that turrently has one of the jb-200 models, please tell me how much the measuring spoon holds that comes with the unit?  In terms of teaspoons or tablespoons would help me out.

Thanks

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Oxalic Acid Vaporizer
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 12:18:22 pm »
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:39:01 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 12:24:47 pm »
I've also seen plans for a propane torch model somewhere on the web but can't find it now :'( If anyone knows of it post the link pleeeese.
Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 12:29:26 pm »
Thanks for that info... but I'm looking for an actual measurement of the crystals.  The one I made holds slightly less than the one in that post and I want to know how much is the right amount.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 12:42:30 pm »
aluminum block is 1.700 x 1.165 x .360 cup is machined in block 1.170 x 1.050 x .325 machined tight to one side leaving space for glow plug hole. block holding glow plug is .450 x .450 x 1.663 threads on glow are machined off. set screw in block holds it in place.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 01:06:58 pm »
aluminum block is 1.700 x 1.165 x .360 cup is machined in block 1.170 x 1.050 x .325 machined tight to one side leaving space for glow plug hole. block holding glow plug is .450 x .450 x 1.663 threads on glow are machined off. set screw in block holds it in place.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)

Again, thanks for the info.  I realize that those are the dimensions for the cup in the vaporizer, but I am looking for the volume of acid crystals that the measuring spoon holds that comes with the unit.  In other words, it says you should use 2-3 grams of acid crystals... what does that amount to in volume.  Here's the deal, I already made a cup to hook a glow plug into and I want to measure out the proper amount of crystals and put into it to see if I made it large enough.  I am a CNC lathe operator and built the cup on a machine with live tooling and I know the cup that I made is slightly smaller than the dimensions shown in your post, but I want to see if it is large enough anyway.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 02:22:00 pm »
Homer,
I just read that 1g per langstroth hive body is recommended.
Hope that helps.
Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 04:00:46 pm »
Homer,

In my experience with the JB200, I think it's cup is marginally small.  Yes it hold the 2 grams of oxalic acid, but ones you start heating it and the oxalic acid starts boiling, in spills out of the cup.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 05:59:48 pm »
Homer,

In my experience with the JB200, I think it's cup is marginally small.  Yes it hold the 2 grams of oxalic acid, but ones you start heating it and the oxalic acid starts boiling, in spills out of the cup.

That is good info Robo,  didn't take that into consideration.  I think I better modify my plans and make the cup dimension a little larger.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 11:04:12 pm »
 A 1/2" copper pipe nipple will hold right at 2 grams by weight. I measured it (Dap wood bleach) one time on a gram scale. That is very close to 1/2 TSP. I just use the pipe nipple to measure. It will boil and splatter when boiled.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 11:14:25 am »
a 1/2" copper pipe nipple will hold right at 2 grams by weight. I measured it (Dap wood bleach) one time on a gram scale. That is very close to 1/2 TSP. I just use the pipe nipple to measure. It will boil and splatter when boiled.

Finally... EXACTLY the info that I was looking for.  Thank you very much!

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 01:13:11 pm »
One more vaporizer question for those of you that already have one....  How is the aluminum block, that holds the glow plug, attached to the pan underneath?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 01:25:58 pm »
two flush mounted machine screws
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 07:07:10 pm »
two flush mounted machine screws

Done and done.... thank you sir!  Shant be long now!

anything