Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bad day in the sandbox  (Read 2641 times)

Offline 2kooldad

• New Bee
bad day in the sandbox
« on: May 24, 2011, 12:48:32 am »
I have been stung sooooo many times today...my super came out just short enuff that i had to custom make frames for it...I did make the frames right...they came out well, but the way I built them on that table saw of mine woulda sent my old woodshop teacher to an early grave...sighhh...i gotta take something good out of this...ummmm...new lessons learned today...my bees CAN sting me through my gloves...it DID hurt when i get stung in the eye but NOT AS BAD as when i got stung in the nose (wear viel when bees are pissy)...when wearing viel and now braver...DO NOT BLOW ON PISSY BEES (most notably when in a tee shirt) my ferals AREN'T african cause they stopped chasing me after 450 feet (doc probly wouldn't like me running so fast after having 2 stents put in my ticker 2 weeks ago)...my dogs coat does NOT protect her from said pissy bees (buy viel for dog) after my 30th sting in the last few months i can now put to rest the rumor that you get used to it an it dont hurt as bad the first time (big big lie)...oh...and the bees that come to the light at night are not lost...they are mad because i kept them up past thier bedtime...hence the last sting of the day...i'll try again tomorow  :roll:
Everything tastes better with honey on it...and everything sounds better coated in it...beekeepers rock :)

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
Re: bad day in the sandbox
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 01:09:07 am »
welcome to the world of beekeeping :-D
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 01:30:47 am »
at least you have your sense of humor!   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline 2kooldad

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 07:49:26 am »
lol...that is the only thing i have in abundance when i need it...it also gets me in trouble...today is a new day  ;)
Everything tastes better with honey on it...and everything sounds better coated in it...beekeepers rock :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 08:34:45 am »
Shame on you. Killed 30 poor little ladies. :D
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 11:55:01 am »
Shame on you. Killed 30 poor little ladies. :D
Yeah thats right
If you didn't act like a Pin cushion  :-D those bees would be alive

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline 2kooldad

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 02:04:02 pm »
only got me twice so far today...im up another hive and now im stuck...there are 2 swarms out here someplace...i need that blood hound :roll:

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 02:18:50 pm »
are you using smoke when you work the bees?  only time i get it like that is if i am doing a cutout.  even then, not that many....oh....except that wet swarm in the thunderstorm last year.....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline 2kooldad

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 03:15:21 pm »
yup...cedar shavings (got the idea off of here)  :-D  except for yesterday...i wasnt going to be in that hive long...just needed a measurement on the frames and wanted to check the queen cells to make sure i wasnt late...of coarse they hatched after i checked and this morning...today and yesterday...they were pissy...even with each other...i noticed it right away...its like they were sick of each others company and were having little spats...lol...i walk outta my friends house when his girlfriend is angry at him so i dont catch a stray bullet or something...theres alot of angry ladies in that box...i shoulda taken a hint...thats the only time the ferals have been nasty...the carnolians on the other hand are supposed to be as gental as baby bunny rabits...yea right  :-\

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 07:54:21 pm »
Where are you located besides land of the lost and where did you get these bees?     AHB comes to mind.

Offline 2kooldad

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 01:24:17 am »
heyyyyyy...i thought i changed that...im in central florida...the state says its a good chance any naturaly mated queens in my area have at least some AHB in them...the funny thing is they got pissy with a carny queen...when the origonal queen was with them they were kittens...now they have the old queen line back...i just hope she doesnt breed with my carnys...they ARE NOT kittens  :shock: