Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pooped On By a Bees: Odds 1 to 352 Milliion  (Read 5906 times)

Offline PaloAltoMark

• New Bee
    • PlanterTomato.com Urban Farming
Pooped On By a Bees: Odds 1 to 352 Milliion
« on: June 26, 2010, 10:55:45 am »
Hi All:

I recently got pooped on by a ton of bees that were swarming from a feral hive in a neighbors tree.  I couldn't resist the opportunity to calculate the odds of this happening and created a posting on my garden blog about this experience.  

As bee keepers, I'm sure some of you may have had the same experience, but for the average guy this would be really unusual.  

Anyway, the posting is meant to be humorous and done in a spirit of fun.  If you want to have a look, it's at the link below to my backyard garden blog.  :)

[Note: Administrator to add link - Have submitted a request since I'm new to the forum]

http://www.plantertomato.com/2010/06/odds-of-being-pooped-on-by-bees-1-to-352-million.html
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:34:24 pm by buzzbee »
Backyard gardening tips and tricks, product reviews, and information about chickens and bees  at my web site: http://www.PlanterTomato.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Pooped On By a Bees: Odds 1 to 352 Milliion
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 11:43:32 pm »
I walked under my hive when they were swarming, and no poop. How the heck did this happen to you??

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:55:13 pm »
I walked under my hive when they were swarming, and no poop. How the heck did this happen to you??

I would venture to say that the swarm was right after a few days of rain, thus forcing the bees with protacted constipation to go on the go.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 11:57:49 pm »
Yes makes sense now :-D :-D

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 06:15:12 am »

I would venture to say that the swarm was right after a few days of rain, thus forcing the bees with protacted constipation to go on the go.

Annette...........

Keep the bees in a package for about a 7 to 10 days put them in a hive on a good flying day DO NOT LOOK UP it will bee raining brown  :evil: :lau:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline PaloAltoMark

• New Bee
    • PlanterTomato.com Urban Farming
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 12:57:17 pm »
Hi Annette:

My guess is you just didn't notice it.  If you were suited up, you might not have felt it.  I was laying on the hammock wearing shorts and no shirt.  I felt it.

-Mark
Backyard gardening tips and tricks, product reviews, and information about chickens and bees  at my web site: http://www.PlanterTomato.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 01:09:12 pm »
Yes that would explain it :-D

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 02:18:03 pm »
Is it as good luck as with birds?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 06:20:29 pm »
I got pooped on my face by a seagull the day before my wedding. That was good luck.

I am sure ( :roll: :roll:) it must be good luck with the bees also.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 07:06:21 pm »
That's one hive product that I've never thought about marketing...maybe bee poop facials and good luck wrinkle cream?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline lisascenic

• House Bee
    • My Blog, "How's Robb?"
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 11:58:49 pm »
You'll notice that in her photo, Annette carries a parasol!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 12:33:40 am »
You'll notice that in her photo, Annette carries a parasol!

Not taking any more chances with things in life that can poop on me.  :-D

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 12:34:41 am »
That's one hive product that I've never thought about marketing...maybe bee poop facials and good luck wrinkle cream?

Scott

You never know Scott what will turn people on :-D

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 10:10:33 am »
Interesting...

I wonder what the odds of beeing a beekeeper are?  Of course many of us are just plain odd... :-D

I really detest the smell of bee poop..YUCK!  I'll change my shirt if I got one spot...that smell just don't quit.

Rick
Rick