• Super Bee
deer
« on: November 19, 2013, 08:39:35 pm »
anyone shooting any?   Season is going well here in MI

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: deer
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 11:12:19 pm »
Just dressed out two tonight. Got them packed on ice until Friday. Then we will process them into Hamburger, sausage, and canned stew meat.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 12:10:20 am »
How do you Can Meat like you do, as its not done this way at all as far as I know.
Canned Kangaroo would keep falling off the shelf I reckon.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 07:51:23 am »
It's a simple and easy process, but cooking under pressure in a pressure canner is ABSOLUTELY mandatory. Normal boiling point of water will not kill botulism spores.

http://www.simplycanning.com/canning-venison.html
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 08:02:43 am »
Pictures please! I've been trying to miss them with my truck.
Sure is a bunch of them laying on the side of the road this season.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 08:28:32 am »
I had a pic I tried to post with this thread but it said it was to big.   I cant believe the computer could figure out that this buck was that big.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 08:52:57 am »
Iddee
have you ever canned the tallowy meat like ribs in barbecue sauce?   Cut all the meats fat and all off the ribs and can as usual but fill the quarts about 1/4 full of barbecue.   The heat will cook off and float all the tallow and when cool it will harden in the top 1 inch of the jar.  Simply scrape it out before reheating. 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 09:06:52 am »
I think a lot of fish and deer pics are stretched too big to work.   :evil:

No, I only can the choice cuts. Prepared bar-B-cue is cooked, then portioned and frozen, plain ribs are frozen raw.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 09:14:59 am »
I stuffed 10 lbs of teriyake sticks last night that will head to the smoke house after work today.   Another favorite that I make is corned venison.  I usually make about 25 to 30  lbs a year.  Most is then just frozen but we also can a bunch with potatoes.    Nothing like corned venison hash with eggs on a sunday morning

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 09:17:41 am »

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 09:25:45 am »
Danno, gun or bow? The hash and eggs sounds good anytime.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 09:44:57 am »
Pictures please! I've been trying to miss them with my truck.
Sure is a bunch of them laying on the side of the road this season.

awwww tefer  your doing it wrong!!!   AIM for them with your truck!!!!   Oh,,, wait, mayube you dont own a chevy...  if thats the case DONT DO IT, you will total your truck!!!

LOL

My Ol Chevy has a STOUT bumper guard/grill guard made with deer splitting strength...  at this point the count is 7,, the game warden DID tell me I couldnt hit any more in the fields or ditches, they had to be ON the road  :'(
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 09:47:26 am »
The deer was openning day with rifle or Nov 15.   I did take this pic of him back by the edge of my woods on Oct 24

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 09:53:02 am »

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 09:59:44 am »
Nice buck!   I shot a 4 X 3 on monday but didn't take his pic

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 10:52:58 am »
OldMech, GMC here, and they all get torn up at 55mph.
Thanks for the pics guys.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 11:41:10 am »
OldMech, GMC here, and they all get torn up at 55mph.
Thanks for the pics guys.

They do tend to make a mess of a good truck. Average about thirty deer counted dead along the highway near here each year..   Most tractor trailors that frequent the area have grill guards for a reason...    Last one I got I was running a bit better than 60.. was running 55 till i saw it... Deer here are what most people consider RATS in their neck of the woods.. farmers wont let you hunt their ground unless you at least attempt to kill the entire group after you shoot the biggest buck in the group...
   Met this big fella coming down a draw I was going up....

Wife is bound and determined to get a bigger one. She wants to get plaques that say his and hers....
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 06:37:21 pm »
I average one a year with the car.It's in the body shop now getting a new nose put on it.

Danno, how about a recipe for that corned venison?

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 08:00:51 pm »
I average one a year with the car.It's in the body shop now getting a new nose put on it.

Danno, how about a recipe for that corned venison?
The stuff that gives corned meat that red color is sodium nitrite or cure.   I buy cure by the 5 pound bucket and my recipes use this.   You can buy nitrite as Morton tender quick in most grocery stores.   I don't mind giving out my recipe but one with Morton is better because it is the right amount  http://www.free-venison-recipes.com/corned-venison.html
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 08:15:25 pm by danno »

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 08:46:52 pm »
I am in thawing out my hands.  I am processing my deer in my unheated garage and it is about 5F outside.

Danno was it you who told me about putting rib meat in canning jars with bbq sauce and being able to just pick the all the tallow off the top when you open the can to use it?  Was that cheap kraft type sauce or did you make your own?  I am about done with this deer.  I have a buck tag to fill yet Saturday so need to clear the gambrel.  The rut is on and even an old man in a tree stand where I can drive up to the carcass might get lucky and get a good one.