Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spider disguised  (Read 19795 times)

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
Spider disguised
« on: October 14, 2007, 04:22:34 pm »
Watering my autumnal potatoes I saw this spider disguised as octopus or perhaps going to a costume party.

It is taking care of the descendants.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Spider disguised
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 12:46:07 am »
That is an awesome looking spider.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 12:53:19 am »
Abejaruco!!!  You have gotta be kidding!!!  YOu see the weirdest things.  Now what on earth is going on with this spider?  At first I thought it was two together, and then I thought it was indeed only one in the second picture.  You said it is taking care of is descendents. 

Is that a pack of babies or something on its back?  A baby bag?  What....did you get a chance to look really closely at this spider to see what on earth it is up to?  I am intrigued!!!  I see a snail in your second picture too, hiding off to the side  :)

Regardless, that is one cool picture, spiders are another love of mine.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day on this great earth.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 04:30:22 am »
I t is a single spider. The descendants are the eggsack that she carries under the abdomen. When she feels that is being observed, takes the eggsack under her head.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 11:07:30 am »
Abejaruco, I still think this spider is one of the weirdest ones I have ever seen.  I like how it looks like it has a total different part of its body sitting on top of its body, too hard to describe, but:  what a sight.  Have this wonderful and great day in this beautiful place on earth.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 05:46:58 pm »
I see mama spiders similar to this one all the time in my garden.  They seem to live in leaf litter, if I see her in time I'll relocate her to another section of the garden.

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 08:29:05 pm »
We have these or ones that look like these around North Carolina all summer. We call the Wolf spiders and/or Tunnel spiders. This is usally a scene from the fall when they carry their egg sac around with them.

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 09:56:54 pm »

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 12:16:11 am »
It is a beautiful green spider, to bad it is eating a bee.

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 09:10:26 am »
I actually took this pic before I got my bees. Looks like a yellow jacket though.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 11:11:13 am »
LocustHoney.  Yep, that is one beautiful spider, it is amazing the colours that they come in.  Have a beautiful and wonderful day.  Cindi

Look at this one that I saw this summer, it was pretty cool too.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 04:33:20 pm »
I happen to be a spider lover as well. I've had tarantulas in the past, they are very cool and mysterious. We have been invaded by the brown widow last two yrs, they came over from Fl. (thanks Brendhan) pack a more powerful venom than the black widow (related), and they are famous for putting out many, many egg sacks. The brown spider above reminds me of a wolf spider as well as a grass spider. The green spider is really cool, and Cindi's is one really unusual cool spider as well.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 07:50:14 pm »
Cindi....GROSS!!! Looks like an albino something or other!!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 12:25:55 am »
Well, I might as well get in on the fun....

I love the big golden orb weavers:

A smaller orb weaver with a beautiful web in the sunlight in the garage:

I'm not sure what they were, but I think they may have been lots and lots of baby golden orb weavers:

One of my sons is fearless and just loves to hold the big weavers in his hand and scare everybody with them.  The boys just aren't content watching the big beautiful creatures...the webs are destroyed quickly and the spiders find a new undisturbed place to catch bugs.

Rick
Rick

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 10:28:12 am »
Rick, some very nice pictures of the spiders, I loved all the baby orbs, beautiful shot, magnificent.

I love the orb weavers here at the end of summer, we have such misty trees in the mornings from the dew and the pictures that the orb weavers create for the eyes are something to behold.  I have a few that I took this past year, I am going to look for them.

The first picture is two orb spider webs, one behind the other:

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 10:06:54 pm »
Gorgeous shots, Cindi!  :)

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 06:15:25 pm »
If I am not mistaken those are writing spiders and/or garden spiders. We love them here at my house. I have taught my kids how to catch a grasshopper and stick him in the web. It then turns into a real live nature show!!! Kids love it. Sometimes the grasshopper gets away.

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 04:55:17 pm »
I see that the pictures at this forum are better, and better, and better.

I wanted to take a photo of a superweb among the cactus. Impossible mission. It´s seem easy, but it´s difficult. So, when I see the Cindi´s photos, the HARMONIOUS Cindi´s garden, I have to say: Cindi, the first photo is good, but the third...in the third you have taken the sound. :shock:

anything