Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen cells in new hives  (Read 1072 times)

Offline True Beeliever

• New Bee
Queen cells in new hives
« on: April 30, 2017, 09:12:02 am »
At the end of March I installed 3 packages of 4.9 bees in 3 hives, all medium frames. While checking on them I noticed all 3 have started queen cells on 2 or 3 frames in each hive. The queens are laying well and there is capped brood. I am not sure why they did this but I was wondering if I could use this to my advantage. I was thinking of creating some nucs at about the 5 week mark but I have never tried this. Any suggestions ?

TB

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Queen cells in new hives
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 09:47:44 am »
It is not a cell until there is a viable egg in it so are you sure they are cells or just cups?  Cups would be normal.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline True Beeliever

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 09:57:09 am »
I am not sure. They may very well be just cups. How do you check ? open one up ?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 10:05:57 am »
If they are capped, they are cells. Go ahead and make your nucs if they aren't open to see into.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 05:32:56 pm »
IDDEE, why would the cells be capped if the queen is still there laying eggs.  Doesn't the queen leave with a swarm when the first cell is capped?  Have I got this wrong?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 04:46:16 pm »
Not on a supercedure. That?s why I always shake my bees through an excluder for a Cell builder.
If you put the frame to a small hive to see if she gets mated you have choices if she does and no loss if she does not.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

anything