Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cutout in laplace la  (Read 2923 times)

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
cutout in laplace la
« on: September 21, 2011, 10:29:29 am »
did this job on 9-8-11. this was a large hive,the comb went  3 1/2 ft in with the brood and in the second compartment,the comb went in 1 1/2 ft. the bees were very pissy throughout the cutout and had to put the  gloves on.other than that it was a great cutout.got the queen towards the end of the brood cutout .they had close to 200lbs of honey in the hive and the homeowner and others got to take some of it .     ,,,,,schawee             CUTOUT IN LAPLACE
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: cutout in laplace la
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 11:41:45 am »
I guess it was my fault that wasp stung you on the nose, right?  :-D

Hey, good job Schawee, you earned your money on this one. Too bad they didn't call you sooner, the bees likely would not have been as pissy.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 01:16:08 pm »
Some very nice comb sections you cut outta there. Nice video Schawee. I still dont think my skill level is up there enough to start tackling those types of jobs yet.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 08:21:53 pm »
Did those bees calm down after you got them home?   Hated to see you forced to suit up and with gloves.   Just ain't the same.   So just how did you get the 2 foot inside measurement on the comb at the start?    Did you go get a thermal camera?  Great video.

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:11:41 pm »
Schawee,

I would like to share my secrete for getting back into locations like that.  I took a piece of 1/8 flat aluminum 13 inches wide and 24 inches long and made a pizza peel with a 5 foot handle.  You slide it under the comb them cut it loose and let it lay on the flat and being careful you can ease the comb down onto the peel and slide it out.  A second smaller one works for cutting the comb loose.

This works for me...just a suggestion. :cheer: Nice job!
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 12:57:50 am »
jp you know its always your falt when i get stung :-Dallen ,it sucks when you have to suit up with the gloves but after taking 15 or so stings on my hand i just had to glove up.it would be nice to have a thermal camera but i had my lazer thermometer  gun and got a reading 2ft in.the honeycomb went another 1 1/2ft  past the brood comb.the temp. went down past the brood.rbin, good idea.what i did is use my scraper with a 3ft handle  and let the comb fall on it and slide it out.                  ......schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 12:35:15 am »
OH that honey looked so good. Boy that was quite a top bar hive!! :-D :-D.

Thanks Schawee for the fun video. Looked like lots of work.

Annette

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 12:49:57 am »
annette, the honey was great .the homeowner loved it.it took all day to get it done and 3hours the next day to put back the siding and beeproof that side of the house.glad you enjoyed it.      .......schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 09:46:06 am »
hear tell you gona bee kinda tender fingered after playing wid that dead gator; just couldnt feel sorry my friend after i found out you only got some sore fingers, but will make a special trip down to re steralize  and bandage yo sore fingers  you be just a little mo careful buddie
to bee or not to bee

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 10:21:53 am »
Schawee
 You need arm extenders  :-D
How much in weight of bees,how was your loss ratio
6lbs? 
Thanks for taking the time to video

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 10:50:46 pm »
bud ,that dead gator almost took  my thumb off.it could have taken about 15 stitches but i took care of it myself.  tommy,i would saythey had 30000 bees in this hive .when i set them up in the beeyard they had maybe 30 bees dead.checked on them yesterday and they are bring in alot of nector and pollen.       .......schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP