Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Shake with mites, shake  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Shake with mites, shake
« on: January 22, 2005, 11:08:58 am »
Peng et al. (1987) observed that A. cerana has a strong defense mechanism against Varroa jacobsoni. When A. cerana workers were artificially infested with varroa females, 99% succeeded in ridding themselves of the parasite by performing body movements that expelled or removed it from their body. It was also observed that many of the mites that left the host worker were killed by the infested worker itself or its fellow workers. Defense mechanisms against the mite similar to those of Apis cerana have been identified in Africanized bees. Moretto et al. (1993) observed that 40% of Africanized bees rid themselves of the parasite when workers of 20 Africanized bee colonies were artificially infested. Correa-Marques (1996), in a study of mites collected from the bottom of Africanized bee colonies, noted the occurrence of mutilations in several parts of their body, indicating possible attacks by the workers.

SEE MORE   http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1415-47571999000300006&script=sci_arttext&tlng=en

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
Shake with mites, shake
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 01:43:50 pm »
Finman,

I've read you can encourage this grooming instinct in all bees by covering them in icing suger - which makes them stop and groom themsleves, and other bees. Provided you use an open mesh floors, during this process the mites fall and do not return.

It's been discussed on this forum before. I don't have any links to research though.

Adam

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Shake with mites, shake
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 02:09:26 pm »
Quote from: asleitch
Finman,

I've read you can encourage this grooming instinct in all bees by covering them in icing suger -

I just put this because small cell is not a key, neither sugar. I have no bees which identyfy it's prasite mite. Not help to my hives.  I have Italians.

I have not noticed that powered sugar is recommended for serious method, neither screen bottom.

Beekeepers have awfully much good advises but only some works.

anything