Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Big vs Small Sawzall  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
Big vs Small Sawzall
« on: May 19, 2009, 01:50:15 pm »
I need to do a cutout in the boonies with no power and my car inverter is 450W (650W peak).

At Home Depot they have a 10 Amp Sawzall and a 4 Amp compact. Both are about the same price.

I'm leaning heavily toward the 4 Amp as my inverter can run it and I don't need to buy a $100 inverter.

Anyone have opinions on this? Do I really need the high power version?
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline JayC

• New Bee
Re: Big vs Small Sawzall
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 08:54:07 pm »
I've got an 18V cordless Ryobi.  I like it.  If I was a pro, I'd buy something nicer.  But, I'm not, so this will probably last the rest of my life. 

If you're doing a cutout, having to worry about a cord is probably a bad idea.  It's just going to get in the way, and worst case scenario, trip you. 

Just my $0.02.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 09:08:38 pm »
i have a cordless also and got an extra battery just in case.  it's nice and i agree about the cord.  especially when you are going up and down ladders, etc.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 09:19:53 pm »
I love a cordless, and a circular saw (skilsaw) can be really handy for the adjustable depth.
amps are kind of misleading, a good gear ratio and decent blades (don't force it) will do anything you need.
be happy and make others happy.