Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help identifying this bee  (Read 1836 times)

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
Help identifying this bee
« on: May 02, 2014, 11:55:45 am »
This bee hits various things around our property.  The lack of yellow, which most of the other honeybees have and it's foraging habits make it way different than most of the girls around our place.  This one seems like a honeybee on espresso, the way it goes from flower to flower is VERY quick, as opposed to the girls with a lot of yellow seem to slowly move from flower to flower.  These ones with lack of yellow banding also seems a tad smaller than the yellow banded girls.

Thanks
Bobby

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Help identifying this bee
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 11:38:02 pm »
There are lots of solitary bee pollinators.  We don't have that particular one here in the North. 

Offline marktrl

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 12:52:29 am »
It's probably a Mason bee.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 08:39:11 am »
That looks like a honey bee to me. Most of my hives have a few black bees and most have small bees. Hard to tell size in that picture. Great job on getting a good clear picture.
The flight pattern does sound more like a mason bee.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 08:55:51 am »
Thanks everyone. I took a movie with the iPhone and then found a frame with a clear shot of her and took a screen shot and cropped down to the pertinent parts.

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 11:46:21 am »
I started looking at photos of mason bees online and noticed they were usually all dark and had a green tint to them.  This girl here still has yellow up on her thorax and is furry.  Here are some more screen captures

Offline richter1978

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 11:37:54 am »
I have been seeing those around here lately also.  I see darker banded bees in a few of my hives but these have a very black abdomen.  I took a picture about a week ago. I can't figure out how to post the photo.  Last year my wife and I watched one try to enter a hive for about an hour with no success.  I was hoping that they were some sort of survivor stock living nearby.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 11:00:13 pm »
I have some that look like these in one of the packages I bought.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline DMLinton

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 11:45:14 am »
That bee looks a lot like an Apis Melifera Melifera (AMM) - the old time dark British bee that was supposed to have been extinct but is not.  If it is, It would most likely be from survivor stock.  I would be looking for the mother colony.

Compare with http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/jpg/darkerbee.jpg, or http://aramel.free.fr/Apis-mellifera-mellifera-f-2.jpg. or http://aramel.free.fr/Apis-mellifera-mellifera.jpg
Regards, Dennis
First bees installed July 1, 2014.
The truth is what the truth is.  We can bend, twist or stretch it all we want but, at the end of the day, the truth is still what the truth is.

Offline Evan W

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 01:15:19 pm »
I had a bee just like that land on me when I got out of my truck Saturday. It did look like a honey bee but on the skinny side.