Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: WAX Moths!!@  (Read 2041 times)

Offline harvey

• House Bee
WAX Moths!!@
« on: August 30, 2010, 07:44:57 pm »
I have heard of wax moths and the damage they do here on the forum but have never had the oportunity to see if for myself till today.  A couple of weeks ago a attempted a cut out of a bee tree that had split and fallen.  I used rubber bands and filled fifteen frames with comb.  I never did get the queen though and as the stump was big enough I set the two deep hive box right in the stump and crossed my fingers.  No luck, they swarmed off to a better location.  It took me two weeks to go back for the hive.  Today,  I took the cover off and whew, it smelled bad.  I saw a catipillar type worm that was almost an inch and a half run accross one of the frame tops.  the frames were all stuck together and it looked like white moss!  Cacoons everywhere even on empty frames.  I cleaned it up the best I could and dumped the comb so as to bring home only woodenware.  I will brush everything off real good before I try and put bees back in there.  What a mess!  Glad none of my active hives ever went down that road (YET).

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: WAX Moths!!@
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 07:59:53 pm »
Stuff happens.  I left 6 hives in my basement this year ready for swarms and have 4 drawn frames in each box.  I got ready to put them back up and opened the top box and moths flew everywhere.  Live and learn.  You can use paramoth to repeal the moths (smells bad) or spray your frames with bt to kill their young if you are going to leave them out.  They are bad in late summers because they have gotten their numbers up.  They can ruin some good frames.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 08:00:48 pm »
Wax moths are opportunistic and will invade any dead or weak hive. Strong hives keep them at bay.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 11:11:31 pm »
strip off those little buggers, thread them on a hook and go fishing!  best use i have ever seen for them!! :evil:
bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 11:30:04 pm »
Of course it helps if you have chickens!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 11:32:47 pm »
naw, fish are easier to clean than chickens! :evil:
plus the fish dont try to fly away when hooked.
bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.