Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: WpN Monthly Beekeeping Podcast - Screened Bottom Boards/Paraffin Dipping - 4/8  (Read 6116 times)

Offline WpNBeePodcast

• New Bee
    • WpN Beekeeping Podcasts
April’s Wildlife Pro Network Beekeeping podcast will be a discussion on Screened Bottom Boards & Paraffin Dipping Equipment  with our special guests Janet Brisson from Country Rubes’ Farms, maker of the popular Combo Screened Bottom Board.

Janet Brisson and her husband Mike have been a self-sufficient family and organic farmers for over 30 years. In 1995 they were forced to become hobbyist beekeepers due to lack of pollination as bees were loosing their fight against the insidious Varroa mites. Horrified to discover that even the most organic-minded beekeepers were driven to use some type of chemical to save their bees, the Brisson’ researched and started building and using screened bottom boards along with intensive drone brood management to reduce their chemical use. After 10 years and various adaptations of SBB’s, they re-discovered using powdered sugar as an effective way of detaching Varroa mites and have been chemical free since the beginning of 2005. One final modification of their screened bottom board to make using powdered sugar easy, the Brisson’ developed their product, the Country Rubes Combo Screened Bottom Board, that has become nationally available to beekeepers. Janet’s program “Healthy Bees & Environmentally Friendly Varroa Control” discusses how to monitor and manage your hives, bees and varroa mites using screened bottom boards, powdered sugar, and drone brood manipulations has been given at Conferences and clubs throughout the United States.

Join Us on April 8th for our podcast with Janet Brisson.

So mark your calendar (or sign up for the reminder at the link below)  and plan on joining us for the conversation and share your experiences and/or ask your questions.  Hope to see you.

What: WpN Beekeeping Podcast - Screened Bottom Boards & Paraffin Dipping Equipment - Janet Brisson
When: Thursday, April 8, 2010 8PM EST
Where: http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/16456

The schedule of future podcasts and recordings of previous podcasts can be found here.  You can also sign up to get an email reminder the day of the podcast.

Directions on joining and participating in the podcast can be found here.

Offline aartiana

• New Bee
    • AarTiana's Blog
Great!  I signed up for reminders AND I plan on listening to your past podcasts!

We are "newbees" in Western Montana, still doing all the learning and research we can.  We are hoping to make a top bar hive and if we are lucky to catch a swarm (or even better if they find it on their own!).  We are fortunate to have more than the usual share of bees visiting our yard (likely because it is organic and weedy hehe)!  Thanks!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Welcome!  Hopefully you will find the information here at the forums and the podcasts useful.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
I use all of their SBB's and they are wonderful. Janet has invited me out to visit with her and I hope to make the trip this Spring. She lives about an hour away from me.

Will try to listen in, hopefully I will not be at work that day.

Annette